[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] 5 1/4" drives

a1076@mindlink.UUCP (Robert Bell) (10/07/90)

hi all,
        can any one tell me how to connect up a teac BD55R 5 1/4" floppy drive
to my atari st for use with pcditto.I especially need to know what jumpers to
set and if any pull down resisters need removing or adding.I have the cable
connected up right but when ever i try reading or writing to the drive i get
the error message 'drive b not responding or someother message,i've noticed
that the drive light comes on but that the heads don't seem to move.Hope
someone can help me.
my cable is connected as follows:-

        atari                 51/4"
         4                     8
         5                     10
         6                     12
         8                     16
         9                     18
         10                    20
         11                    22
         12                    24
         13                    26
         14                    28
         1                     30
         2                     32
         3                     19
         7                     27
--
-----------------------------------------------------------\
ROBERT BELL                             VANCOUVER B.C

a1076@mindlink.UUCP (Robert Bell) (10/09/90)

can anyone tell me how to connect a teac FD-55BR-578-U 5 1/4" floppy drive to
my ST.I've got the cable set up right,but what i need to know is what resisters
if any,need to be removed or replaced and what links have to be set.At the
moment the drive light comes on but the head remains still and i get various
error messages.
Robert Bell                       uunet!van_bc!rsoft!mindlink!a1076
Benndorf-Verster                  a1076@mindlink.uucp
Vancouver Canada                  voice 604-853-5870

alkman@hexagon.se (Stefan Alkman) (10/15/90)

In article <3468@mindlink.UUCP> a1076@mindlink.UUCP (Robert Bell) writes:
>can anyone tell me how to connect a teac FD-55BR-578-U 5 1/4" floppy drive to
>my ST.I've got the cable set up right,but what i need to know is what resisters
>if any,need to be removed or replaced and what links have to be set.At the
>moment the drive light comes on but the head remains still and i get various
>error messages.

I have connected a 5 1/4" to my ST, byt the st don't get the select signal
low enought, so i just removed the resistors on the drive that "pull it up".
(It was two on my drive, one in a socket and one who was soulded on the bord)

(Yes! My english is BAD!)
--
Stefan Alkman					  Voice: +46-19-164787
alkman@hexagon.se     	or         !sunic!kullmar!pkmab!hexagon!alkman

adamd@rhi.hi.is (Adam David) (10/18/90)

In <1231@hexagon.se> alkman@hexagon.se (Stefan Alkman) writes:

>In article <3468@mindlink.UUCP> a1076@mindlink.UUCP (Robert Bell) writes:
>>can anyone tell me how to connect a teac FD-55BR-578-U 5 1/4" floppy drive to
>>my ST.I've got the cable set up right,but what i need to know is what resisters
>>if any,need to be removed or replaced and what links have to be set.At the
>>moment the drive light comes on but the head remains still and i get various
>>error messages.

>I have connected a 5 1/4" to my ST, byt the st don't get the select signal
>low enought, so i just removed the resistors on the drive that "pull it up".
>(It was two on my drive, one in a socket and one who was soulded on the bord)

I've done this several times, the drives are not very consistent. One even
had to be exchanged because it refused to work with the ST. Basically the
procedure I used was such:

1) remove the resistor pack from the socket on the rear of the drive and see
if the drive works like this. Some drives work fine this way.

2) use 330-ohm resitors (low wattage to avoid damaging the socket) between
opposite holes in the socket and experiment to determine which resistors of
the 8-pack are needed so that disks can be formatted 40 tracks, read and
written properly. Different drives needed different combinations.

3) bend out the pins on one side of the resistors which cause trouble and make
sure of leaving in the ones that are necessary.

When I rewired my ST so that both drive select lines were taken out to the
ST's external diskdrive connector, A: as DS0 and B: as DS1   a drive which
didn't need any resistors wouldn't work without them and a drive which did
need them wouldn't work with them. Some of the signals seem to be a bit flakey
if rerouting a couple of wires can make this difference.

Hope this helps.

adamd@rhi.hi.is