[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] Replacing more in Gulam . . .

boyd@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (10/21/90)

Is there:

       1.  A TOS type more program with the same look and feel (and most of
           the functions!) of the unix binary 'more'?

       2.  Is there any way to replace the more in Gulam with it?

I am a vi-guy, and do not like the emacs clone that Gulam uses for it's more
function.  Please include a filename and ftp site (if applicable).  Thanks
in advance!!
--
    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------
             Mickey R. Boyd          |  "It's amazing how much growing up

rosenkra@convex.com (William Rosencranz) (10/22/90)

In article <9010210743.AA13555@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu> boyd@nu.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) writes:
>Is there:
>
>       1.  A TOS type more program with the same look and feel (and most of
>           the functions!) of the unix binary 'more'?

forget more...use less.ttp. it allows you to scroll backwards which is a huge
gain over more. you can probably find it at atari.archives.umich.edu. the
latest version is v97, though i do remember v123 posted quite some time ago
in alt.sources (beta). in fact, you can modify your desktop.inf to use less
as the pager for the desktop itself.

>       2.  Is there any way to replace the more in Gulam with it?

i generally alias "t" to "less" and just type "t filename" which is faster
than "more filename". i believe that aliases take precedence over built-ins
so aliasing more to c:\bin\more.ttp (or whatever) will probably work. "t"
stands for "type" (ala MS-DOS and VMS, though i don't use either much if at
all, prefering unix look/feel and correct byte order in words :-).

>I am a vi-guy, and do not like the emacs clone that Gulam uses for it's more

too bad, that's your loss... *8^)

actually, i don't like the gulam emacs clone either. there are superior
alternatives: 1) MicroEMACS (i use v3.9i over v3.10), 2) a port of
real GNU emacs (which is big and somewhat flakey in a "normal" CR-LF TOS
environment). the former loads in about a second from a ramdisk, so there
is no real speed improvement of gulam emacs. gulam emacs does let you fg/bg
the editor, though, which is nice. there are other emacses (jove, MWC emacs,
micrognuemacs, etc), but i think (for me) MicroEMACS is the best all around.
language context sensitivity and multiple windows make emacs superior for me.
and the argument for portability of vi over emacs is waning: emacs is
supplied/available by/for most (unix) vendors these days including convex,
cray (soon?), sun, dec, AIX (?), etc, etc, etc).

-bill
--
Bill Rosenkranz            |UUCP: {uunet,texsun}!convex!c1yankee!rosenkra
Convex Computer Corp.      |ARPA: rosenkra%c1yankee@convex.com

entropy@mole.ai.mit.edu (Nick Castellano) (10/22/90)

In article <9010210743.AA13555@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu> boyd@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) writes:

   Is there:

	  1.  A TOS type more program with the same look and feel (and most of
	      the functions!) of the unix binary 'more'?

At terminator.cc.umich.edu, /atari/utilities/less.arc -- similar to
more, but better.

	  2.  Is there any way to replace the more in Gulam with it?

In gulam.g, type:

alias more c:\bin\less

-nick

--