[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] MS-DOS Disk Compatibility?

whinery@hale.ifa.hawaii.edu (Alan Whinery) (11/02/90)

Greetings, ST-ites;

	I am a non-ST person with a question. I have heard that ST disks
are compatible with MSDOS disks, and I thought I would make sure of that
before trying to send some GIF pics to my friend in New York who owns an
ST. Can I write GIF files to 720K 3.5" floppies and have him read them
with no problems? WHat considerations should I make? I might also ftp a
viewer for him, (he has not Internet connection) do executable need
special attention?

Alan
whinery@hale.ifa.hawaii.edu

E-Mail Preferred.

csbrod@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Claus Brod ) (11/02/90)

whinery@hale.ifa.hawaii.edu (Alan Whinery) writes:

>	I am a non-ST person with a question. I have heard that ST disks
>are compatible with MSDOS disks, and I thought I would make sure of that
>before trying to send some GIF pics to my friend in New York who owns an
>ST. Can I write GIF files to 720K 3.5" floppies and have him read them
>with no problems? WHat considerations should I make? I might also ftp a
>viewer for him, (he has not Internet connection) do executable need
>special attention?

STs can read any 720 KB DOS disk around. The other way it is somewhat
more complicated: Most PCs don't adhere fully to the Microsoft conventions
for identifying disk formats, and early TOS versions produced _slightly_
incompatible disk formats (fixed since TOS 1.4, so this is an old story).
So your friend will be able to read GIF pictures as long as he's got
some GIF viewer program for his ST. If you can ftp him one, do so and
copy it onto the disk. No problems.

Claus Brod, Am Felsenkeller 2,			Things. Take. Time.
D-8772 Marktheidenfeld, West Germany		(Piet Hein)
csbrod@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de