[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] Homebrew SIMM expansion.

tmp@doc.ic.ac.uk (Trevor Peacock) (10/30/90)

In my never ending quest for memory (without the price :^) I tried a simple
experiment on my ST.

What I did was to remove the 8 highest bits from bank 1 in my ST and wire up
a SIMM socket so that the corresponding data, address, cas, ras & write lines
went to those which the 41256's had occupied.
I triple checked this, plugged a 256k SIMM into the socket, powered up and...
BINGO!! the ST couldn't see the top bank.

I plugged the original 41256s back and then powered up to find that the top
bank was there again.
The SIMM was a 256k * 8 150nS (the original 41256s are 150nS).

I was hoping to find that this works, so that I could wire it all up and
buy some 1M SIMMs to plug in (with A9 wired up of course).

As I understand it, the SIMM should be equivalent to the 8 41256s, except that
the address, cas, ras & write lines are tied in parallel. I kept the wires as
short as possible etc, so I don't think that this was the problem.

Does anyone else have any experience with this - or any suggestions why it
didn't work?

Trev..

Trevor Peacock,		 | Tel : 071 589 5111 X 5052 | JANET : tmp@uk.ac.ic.doc
Department of Computing, | DARPA : tmp@doc.ic.ac.uk
Imperial College,        \ or      tmp%uk.ac.ic.doc@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
180 Queens Gate,London SW7 2BZ |    UUCP : tmp@icdoc.UUCP or ..!ukc!icdoc!

don@milton.u.washington.edu (Don Clifton) (10/31/90)

In article <2408@gould.doc.ic.ac.uk> tmp@doc.ic.ac.uk (Trevor Peacock) writes:

>I was hoping to...
>buy some 1M SIMMs to plug in (with A9 wired up of course).
>
>Does anyone else have any experience with this - or any suggestions why it
>didn't work?

Several months ago I removed 16 of the 256k RAM chips from my 1040, wired
in a SIMM dual SIMM socket, and inserted 2 1Meg (80ns) SIMMs. I now have
2.5Megs of memory that works great!

I don't know what you did wrong, but it should work.

stigvi@Siri.Unit.NO (Stig Vidar Hovland) (11/02/90)

In article <2408@gould.doc.ic.ac.uk>, tmp@doc.ic.ac.uk (Trevor Peacock) writes:

|> In my never ending quest for memory (without the price :^) I tried a simple
|> experiment on my ST.
|>
|> What I did was to remove the 8 highest bits from bank 1 in my ST and wire up
|> a SIMM socket so that the corresponding data, address, cas, ras & write lines
|> went to those which the 41256's had occupied.
|> I triple checked this, plugged a 256k SIMM into the socket, powered up and...
|> BINGO!! the ST couldn't see the top bank.
|>

|> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|> Trevor Peacock,		 | Tel : 071 589 5111 X 5052 | JANET : tmp@uk.ac.ic.doc
|> Department of Computing, | DARPA : tmp@doc.ic.ac.uk
|> Imperial College,        \ or      tmp%uk.ac.ic.doc@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
|> 180 Queens Gate,London SW7 2BZ |    UUCP : tmp@icdoc.UUCP or ..!ukc!icdoc!

I have just wired up 2 1MB SIMMs in my 520STF, and together with the old
memory my ST have a total of 2.5MB. I used SIMMs with a 9bit databus, but
2 8bit SIMMs should work fine too.
You must have done something wrong. Maybe you should triple check it twice.

Stig Vidar Hovland - stigvi@siri.unit.no

ant@mks.com (Anthony Howe) (11/02/90)

Q: Is there a similar expansion for a MEGA 2 to 4?? Something clean and easy
for a software techno type. And yes I can handle a soldering iron.

 -ant
--
            __                               "So many pedestrians
 _  . .-|- / _\ .  . |_  _.    _  _  .  .     So little time."