[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] ROM links on '85 vintage ST

gjh@hplb.hpl.hp.com (Graham Higgins) (11/01/90)

Does anyone happen to know the board reference IDs of the links
which need to be changed in order to install a 6-chip TOS 1.4
into a 2-chip TOS 1.0, 1985-vintage 520 STFM?

   [I'm asking for a friend without usenet access]

Graham
======

fischer-michael@cs.yale.edu (Michael Fischer) (11/03/90)

In article <GJH.90Nov1145332@ghiggins.hpl.hp.com> gjh@hplb.hpl.hp.com (Graham Higgins) writes:

>Does anyone happen to know the board reference IDs of the links
>which need to be changed in order to install a 6-chip TOS 1.4
>into a 2-chip TOS 1.0, 1985-vintage 520 STFM?
>
>   [I'm asking for a friend without usenet access]
>
>Graham
>======

The early 1985-vintage 520's came with TOS on a floppy.  The machines
had 6 ROM sockets.  Two were filled with a boot ROM and the other four
were empty.  If this is your friend's situation, he should just unplug
the two boot ROM chips and put in the 6-chip TOS 1.4 set.  If he
really has a later machine with a 2-chip TOS ROM set, then his best
bet is to exchange the 6-chip TOS 1.4 for a 2-chip TOS 1.4 set.  Both
are available from Atari.  I replaced a 2-chip TOS 1.2 set with a
6-chip TOS 1.4 set on my Mega-4 when TOS 1.4 first came out, and it
was an awful job that involved removing chips on the motherboard,
moving jumpers, repairing tiny traces that we accidently damaged, and
so forth.  I wouldn't do it again unless absolutely necessary.
| Michael Fischer <fischer-michael@cs.yale.edu>  |