[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] GNU s/w

gjh@hplb.hpl.hp.com (Graham Higgins) (11/07/90)

I received a canonical answer to my broadcast message to jbammi on
comp.sys.atari.st This has turned into a technical issue ...

Jwahar Bammi has left his postgrad position at CWRU and got a job as
a unix guru somewhere. Unless someone else is in a position to do so
and is willing, it means that there ain't gonna be any more updates
to the GNU C suite. (Version 1.37.1 is the last we have).

I have access to a Sun3 running OS4 here and have the GNU C distribution
sources plus JB's diff files for adding the ST-specifics. Unfortunately,
I'm neither C nor Unix literate, so am floundering unless all goes without
a hitch. It used to, but we've had an OS upgrade on the Sun and all bets are
off :-(

Can I invite all you GNU C users out there to join forces to try and keep
the ST versions of the GNU suite alive?

For example, the ST version of gas is 1.34, 1.37 is available and so are
the coff patches for gas 1.37. Does anyone know whether it's worth trying

	1. The port of gas 1.37?

	2. Applying the coff patches?

Is coff likely to be applicable to the ST architecture?

Is it worth at least getting an email list together?

Gray
====

rn@ap.co.umist.ac.uk (bob nutter) (11/09/90)

In article <GJH.90Nov6202815@ghiggins.hpl.hp.com>, gjh@hplb.hpl.hp.com (Graham Higgins) writes:

|> the coff patches for gas 1.37. Does anyone know whether it's worth trying
|>
|> 	1. The port of gas 1.37?
|>
|> 	2. Applying the coff patches?
|>
|> Is coff likely to be applicable to the ST architecture?

-Nope, COFF is just the (common) object file format found on some UNIX
systems (eg: Apollo Domain/OS, Sun 386i at 4.0.x) which meant that debuggers
couldn't be used (except at assembly level :-) on gcc/g++ objects...

bob
bob nutter, computer officer    |
UMIST dept of computation       | "when father papered the parlour,
po box 88 manchester m60 1qd uk |  you couldn't see him for paste..."
tel:+44 61 200 3386             |
email:b.nutter@umist.ac.uk      |

roeder@robin.cs.uni-sb.de (Edgar Roeder) (11/10/90)

In article <GJH.90Nov6202815@ghiggins.hpl.hp.com> gjh@hplb.hpl.hp.com (Graham Higgins) writes:
>  For example, the ST version of gas is 1.34, 1.37 is available and so are
> the coff patches for gas 1.37. Does anyone know whether it's worth trying
>   1. The port of gas 1.37?

I have recently done the gas-"port" for version 1.37. It was almost
trivial. The new version is available via anonymous ftp at
cs.uni-sb.de in directory /pub/atari/gas (sources) and
/pub/atari/bin/gcc/lib (binary). Whe i finished the port, i was rather
surprised that it produced even better (= smaller) code than gas 1.36.

BTW.: We have here an almost complete collection of all GNU software
ported to the Atari ST running TOS (there are plans to set up a Minix
archive too, but it may take some time).

	- Edgar