[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] Getting Unix windows to run....

rcte2p@jetson.uh.edu (Paul S. Sears) (11/12/90)

Has anyone actually managed to get Unix windows running (uw)?  I ftped uw from
the atari.archive at umich.edu and everytime I try to ru the program (uw.prg)
it loads for a while and then it just hangs and I have to reboot.  I am using
the provided startgem.prg to have uw.prg automatically run if that is
important, but I tried to run uw.prg by itself and it still hung...

--
Paul Sears      The Univ. of Houston |"The greater an individual's power
Student of the College of Technology | over others, the greater the evil that

cannon@bnr.ca (Mark Cannon 1598339) (11/13/90)

In article <7588.273dd117@jetson.uh.edu> rcte2p@jetson.uh.edu (Paul S. Sears) writes:

>Has anyone actually managed to get Unix windows running (uw)?  I ftped uw from
>the atari.archive at umich.edu and everytime I try to ru the program (uw.prg)
<stuff deleted>

It depends on what you mean by running.  I ftp'd uw.tar, uw.arc,
and uwbin.arc(I believe those are the file names).  I built the
server on my workstation(contents of the tar file) and used the
wind.prg on my atari, and I am very pleased with the results.

First I ran wind.prg on the atari, phoned into work(you can define
the function keys to do this for you), and ran the workstation
version of uw.prg. This allowed me multiple windows to my workstation.
I was unable to get the reverse(a window to the atari from my
workstation) using uw.prg, and the equivalent to wind.prg on the workstation.

I apologize if I have the names of the programs, or files wrong,
but they should be close enough to figure out the actual files
I mean :-)

>--
>Paul Sears      The Univ. of Houston |"The greater an individual's power
>Student of the College of Technology | over others, the greater the evil that
>RCTE2P@Jetson.uh.edu      ***        | might possibly originate with him."
>RCTE2P@menudo.uh.edu     * * *       | - PROPAGANDA, from A Secret Wish (CD)

Mark Cannon  (613) 763 7403       NETNORTH: cannon@bnr.ca
           "My opinions, requests, not BNR's"

bill@mwca.UUCP (Bill Sheppard) (11/14/90)

In article <7588.273dd117@jetson.uh.edu> rcte2p@jetson.uh.edu (Paul S. Sears) writes:

>Has anyone actually managed to get Unix windows running (uw)?...

>Paul Sears      The Univ. of Houston |"The greater an individual's power

I'm typing on it now - works like a charm (in monochrome, I don't think it
works in color). Great program, I only wish it supported VT100 instead of
ADM31, though with rebindable function keys you can play some tricks (such
as making the ALT-FKEYS send VT100 keypad codes).

#  Bill Sheppard  --  bills@microware.com  --  {uunet,sun}!mcrware!mwca!bill   #
#  Microware Systems Corporation  ---  OS-9: Seven generations beyond __/_!!   #
#######Opinions expressed are my own, though you'd be wise to adopt them!#######