[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] Modem port problems

wao@cbnewsm.att.com (william.a.oswald) (11/13/90)

My modem went dead a few weeks ago so I sent it to be fixed. When I
got it back it worked fine (on another machine). My ST no longer
sends out a terminal ready signal. I tested the port with a mini
rs232 tester (the TR LED did not light). Any advice on what to
check once I open the hood? I have opened my ST many times before
but I never paid much attention to the modem port. What IC's can
I expect to find hanging on the port. Any advice would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Bill Oswald
aloft!wao

fortinp@bwdls56.bnr.ca (Pierre Fortin) (11/15/90)

In article <1990Nov12.203120.958@cbnewsm.att.com>, wao@cbnewsm.att.com (william.a.oswald) writes:
> My modem went dead a few weeks ago so I sent it to be fixed. When I
> got it back it worked fine (on another machine). My ST no longer
> sends out a terminal ready signal. I tested the port with a mini
> rs232 tester (the TR LED did not light). Any advice on what to
> check once I open the hood? I have opened my ST many times before
> but I never paid much attention to the modem port. What IC's can
> I expect to find hanging on the port. Any advice would be greatly
> appreciated. Thanks in advance.
>
> Bill Oswald
> aloft!wao

Check the 1488 chip (input on pin 2 from YM2149 and output on pin 3 to
pin 20 (DTR) on the RS232 connector.  You don't say what model ST, but
it's the same pins on 520, 1040 and Mega; so you should be able to get
it fixed.

Good luck,
Pierre Fortin       Bell-Northern Research     I know, my postings are
Internet Systems    P.O.Box 3511, Stn C        terse and humourless. So?
(613)763-2598       Ottawa, Ontario            RIP: aptly named protocol
fortinp@bnr.ca      Canada    K1Y 4H7          AppleTalk: Adam&Eve's design