[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] Bad news for Panasync - possibly not!

gary@brb.isnet.inmos.co.uk (11/13/90)

In article <1990Nov11.023940.10838@ecst.csuchico.edu>, ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) writes:
> I did a little more research today on the Panasync, to perhaps reveal
> some bad news.
>                                 Atari
>                         low     medium  high
>                         ------- ------- -------
> Horizontal Frequency:   15.8kHz 31.5kHz 35.7kHz
                                  ^^^^
Surely this should be 15.8kHz, the same as for low res, after all they both
work on a standard TV set, which has 15.8KHz / 60Hz rates. (50Hz in UK)

> Vertical Frequency:     60Hz    60Hz    71.2kHz
                                              ^^^
                                              a typo - should be in Hz

> Then they said the horizontal was 30 to 37.
                                    ^^^^^^^^
Seems a restricted range for a true multi-sync, this range in more appropriate
for VGA only. Does this monitor work with CGA? (CGA uses the same frequencies
as low/medium res). The shop may be more knowledgable about the monitors
performance with PC graphics standards.

> Talon also recommends that the vertical auto-sync be 15 - 36Khz or
> better and the horizontal auto-sync be 45 - 90Khz or better.

Are the above back to front...
i.e horizontal (line) sync range 15kHz to 36kHz
    vertical  (frame) sync range 45 Hz to 90 Hz

This is comparable to most multi-sync monitor specs, and should work
in all 3 Atari modes. Note the 45Hz spec allows the monitor to be used
in the UK (and Europe) with our 50Hz frame rate.

Seems like a very good price monitor, can you give details of the supplier
or manufacturer - I would be interested in locating a UK source.

--Gary
Gary Morton   Inmos Ltd, Aztec West, Bristol | EMail(UK)
----------| +44 454 616616 X523 |------------| gary@brb.isnet.inmos.co.uk
The opinions above are my personal views     | EMail(ROW)
and may not reflect Inmos policy.            | gary@brb.isnet.inmos.com

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (11/14/90)

gary@brb.isnet.inmos.co.uk writes:

- > Then they said the horizontal was 30 to 37.
-                                     ^^^^^^^^
- Seems a restricted range for a true multi-sync, this range in more
- appropriate for VGA only.

I too thought it was kinda strange; that's why I asked two places.
Could they both be wrong?!?!  Maybe I should call Panasonic.  Anyone
know their number?

- Does this monitor work with CGA? (CGA uses the same frequencies as
- low/medium res). The shop may be more knowledgable about the
- monitors performance with PC graphics standards.

Not sure about CGA.  What do you mean about the 'shop?'

- Seems like a very good price monitor,...

That's what I thought!  Until I figured it may not work with the ST!
I will call Gadgets by Small tomorrow and ask them, since someone
told me they may be using one.

- ...can you give details of the supplier or manufacturer - I would be
- interested in locating a UK source.

It's the Panasonic Panasync C1381.

--
         Ed Krimen  ...............................................
   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
   |||   INTERNET: ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu  FREENET: al661
  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261        FIDONET: 1:119/4.0

gjh@hplb.hpl.hp.com (Graham Higgins) (11/15/90)

++   - Does this monitor work with CGA? (CGA uses the same frequencies as
++   - low/medium res). The shop may be more knowledgable about the
++   - monitors performance with PC graphics standards.

++   Not sure about CGA.  What do you mean about the 'shop?'

"shop" in British English = "store" in American English.

(Britain & America, two countries separarated by a common language).

Cheers,

Gray
====