[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] Gauntlet II four player option.

thaanuj@prism.CS.ORST.EDU (John Thaanum) (11/19/90)

My local atari dealer (45 miles away) just opened a new store and had a
grand opening sale last week, where I picked up Gauntlet II by US Gold at
a pretty good bargain.  The docs mention a four-player adapter.  They are
sold mail order for about $12.

What I am wondering is what this thing is and how complicated it is.  I
have heard that is is just a plug that goes in the parallel port with two
DB-9 jacks.  If this is so, could somebody tell me the pinouts on the parallel
port and how they are connected the the joystick jacks?

I'm really not so stingy as to avoid the $12 charge to buy one, but I am
aching for a small project to do to help kill some time.

Thanks for any and all advice I receive.  Happy to pass along to others
whatever I find out.  Just let me know.

		   John Thaanum                          ## ## ##
	  email: thaanuj@prism.cs.orst.edu               ## ## ##
	  snail: 1335 NW Kings Bv. Apt #B5               ## ## ##
		 Corvallis, OR 97330                     ## ## ##
	  voice: (503)-753-2361                         ##  ##  ##
        **Clever quotes and disclaimers are**         ###   ##   ###
        **strrrrrictly prrrrrrohibited.....**       ###     ##     ###

In article <21847@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> thaanuj@prism.CS.ORST.EDU (John Thaanum) writes:
>My local atari dealer (45 miles away) just opened a new store and had a
>grand opening sale last week, where I picked up Gauntlet II by US Gold at
>a pretty good bargain.  The docs mention a four-player adapter.  They are
>sold mail order for about $12.
>
>What I am wondering is what this thing is and how complicated it is.  I
>have heard that is is just a plug that goes in the parallel port with two
>DB-9 jacks.  If this is so, could somebody tell me the pinouts on the parallel
>port and how they are connected the the joystick jacks?

There is an article describing what to do on ub.cc.umich.edu in PC7:4jadapt.arc.
You can get it by anonymous ftp. (I know, it probably *is* on atari.archive
too, but I was too lazy to open a connection there to find what directory it's
in...)

>I'm really not so stingy as to avoid the $12 charge to buy one, but I am
>aching for a small project to do to help kill some time.

>Thanks for any and all advice I receive.  Happy to pass along to others
>whatever I find out.  Just let me know.

This will probably take you all of 10 minutes to put together. You just need
a 25 pin connector for the parallel port, 2 9 pin connectors for the joysticks,
and, um, 12 strands of wire. Hoods for the connectors are nice, too. I found
that a plain ol' 9-pin D subminiature connector works fine.

If that doesn't work for you, you can always cut up two Radio Shack joystick
extension cords and plug those into the 25 pin shell. That's guaranteed to work.
I like those extension cords, I use them just to get the jack to a reachable
location. Especially since I have 3 different joysticks that I use for different
styles of games, and want to change 'em quickly...
--
  -- Howard Chu @ University of Michigan

Mac// - adv., q.v. MacToo, e.g.  McHave a McHappy McDay!
		McThanks, McYou MacToo!