[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] Need RS232 configuration help...

bro@eunomia.rice.edu (Douglas Monk) (11/27/90)

I am trying to write a program that talks to an RS232 device that needs
600 baud, 8 bit, 1 stop bit communications with all 8 bits used to
communicate (i.e., "strip bit" must be OFF).

If I use the control panel to set to 600 baud, 8 bit, 1 stop bit, strip-bit
off, all goes well. But I want to call Rsconf to set this up directly so
the user won't need to do it by hand.

I found parameters for everything except the "strip-bit" control. Is that
handled somewhere else? If so, what do I need to do?

I tried to trace what the control panel does using a machine language
monitor. Besides the Rsconf call, it seems to write directly to RS232 control
registers, but that seemed to be just redundant setting of the same things as
Rsconf is supposed to set... I certainly could have missed something: tracing
machine language execution is nightmarish.

Any suggestions for the missing RS232 calls supported by the control panel
but not present in Rsconf? (Besides "strip-bit", there is also duplex, etc.)

Thanks,
Doug Monk (bro@rice.edu)

Disclaimer: These views are mine, not necessarily my organization's.

In article <1990Nov27.003016.24863@rice.edu> bro@eunomia.rice.edu (Douglas Monk) writes:
>Any suggestions for the missing RS232 calls supported by the control panel
>but not present in Rsconf? (Besides "strip-bit", there is also duplex, etc.)

Strip-bit is redundant, specifying 8 bits/no parity is sufficient. Duplex
is handled by your application, not by the low-level RS232 routines. If you
want half-duplex operation all you have to do is echo everything the user
types.
--
  -- Howard Chu @ University of Michigan

Flame all you want - we'll take more.

bro@eunomia.rice.edu (Douglas Monk) (11/29/90)

In article <1990Nov27.011538.29460@math.lsa.umich.edu> hyc@math.lsa.umich.edu (Howard Chu) writes:
#In article <1990Nov27.003016.24863@rice.edu> bro@eunomia.rice.edu (Douglas Monk) writes:
#>Any suggestions for the missing RS232 calls supported by the control panel
#>but not present in Rsconf? (Besides "strip-bit", there is also duplex, etc.)
#
#Strip-bit is redundant, specifying 8 bits/no parity is sufficient.

Nope. I originally did this using the control panel with strip bit on. When
reading what should have been chars==255, I got chars==127. With strip bit
off, I didn't. If I don't do it with the control panel and only use
a call to Rsconf to set 8 bits/no parity 600 baud, I get the same (useless)
results: the 8th bit is stripped before I get to see it.

I am using Caux?? calls by the way.

#Duplex
#is handled by your application, not by the low-level RS232 routines. If you
#want half-duplex operation all you have to do is echo everything the user
#types.

This (and likewise with strip bit) is what I originally assumed. Since it
was false for strip bit, I wonder if it might be false for duplex as well.

Why does the control panel allow you to play with them if they are supposed
to be the responsibility of the application?

So, I still need answers.