[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] Memory upgrades for Atari STe?

robertl@alpha.la.locus.com (Robert Lee) (11/17/90)

I would like to know what is involved and the difficulty of
doing memory upgrades to 1040 STe's. I'm not a harware person
but can handle a opening my case and popping in chips.
Is there more to it then that?

Any information is appreciated.

Robert Lee
robertl@locus.com

Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz (11/22/90)

In article <19681@oolong.la.locus.com> robertl@alpha.la.locus.com
(Robert Lee) writes:
> I would like to know what is involved and the difficulty of
> doing memory upgrades to 1040 STe's. I'm not a harware person
> but can handle a opening my case and popping in chips.
> Is there more to it then that?
> Any information is appreciated.>
> Any information is appreciated.
> Robert Lee
> robertl@locus.com

Well don't try to pull them out, they don't come out that way
they have little clickers to hold them in (upright) unclick
the clickes, very frajile, then swing board down to 50 Dec,
or say 10/2 o'clock, then just lift out, no force needed
you can use 120ns or faster simms, also it is posible to
use 9 bit ones, al la PC. you have to use 2 simms to make
up a bank, if you have 512k now, you can put in 2 one meg
simms this will give you 2.5 megs, i have seen talk that
STE's will not work with 2.5 megs unless you have a Patch
program, this could be wrong as a freind has one and will
work with 2.5 megs, but i did not check which bank had
the 1 meg simms in, but there was a program that would not work
with 2.5 megs, we think that is did its own memory clear, and had a bug
that did not like 2.5 megs, also note. it is posible to have
a STE with Sipps in them...hope this helps

Roger W. Sheppard , New Zealand..

--
Roger W. Sheppard   85 Donovan Rd, Kapiti New Zealand...

rjast1@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Robert J Anisko) (11/29/90)

In article <19681@oolong.la.locus.com> robertl@alpha.la.locus.com (Robert Lee) writes:
>I would like to know what is involved and the difficulty of
>doing memory upgrades to 1040 STe's. I'm not a harware person
>but can handle a opening my case and popping in chips.
>Is there more to it then that?
>
>Any information is appreciated.
>
>Robert Lee
>robertl@locus.com

  I believe that's all you do.  I'm thinking of selling my 1040ST, and maybe
picking up a 1040STe to do so (at least the memory upgrades should be
cheaper, plus the advantages of stereo, TOS 1.6?, etc).  Though there is
someone local to me that supposedly can install a SIMM board into my 1040
for $100-150 (not sure what price).  But the use of SIMMs should make life
MUCH easier to upgrade...

																rjast1@cis.unix.pitt.edu