[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] Atari megafile expansion

swklassen@rose.uwaterloo.ca (Steven W. Klassen) (11/18/90)

I have an Atari Megafile 60 which is filling up fast.  It is possible
to expand this without shelling out all the money for a second
megafile 60?  Specifically, can I simply add another drive to the
interface in my current Megafile?

Here are the details:
- my drive has the number SEA{something} on the back.  Someone told
  me once that this meant it was a Seagate drive.
- ratehd tells me that the adapter is an Adaptek {something}

I know that I could expand things by purchasing another megafile and
chaining it onto the DMA, but is it possible to expand the one I've
got now, say from 60 meg to 120 meg, by adding another drive
mechanism to the current controller?  Physically there seems to be
lots of room in the megafile box.
--

						Steven W. Klassen
						University of Waterloo

woju@mist.sub.org (Wolfgang Jung) (11/20/90)

In <1990Nov17.195344.22424@watdragon.waterloo.edu>, Steven W. Klassen writes:
-<I have an Atari Megafile 60 which is filling up fast.  It is possible
-<to expand this without shelling out all the money for a second
-<megafile 60?  Specifically, can I simply add another drive to the
-<interface in my current Megafile?
-<
-<Here are the details:
-<- my drive has the number SEA{something} on the back.  Someone told
-<  me once that this meant it was a Seagate drive.
-<- ratehd tells me that the adapter is an Adaptek {something}
-<
-<I know that I could expand things by purchasing another megafile and
-<chaining it onto the DMA, but is it possible to expand the one I've
-<got now, say from 60 meg to 120 meg, by adding another drive
-<mechanism to the current controller?  Physically there seems to be
-<lots of room in the megafile box.

It is possible, but you have to do several things with the Controler-
board ! But I don't know, what you have to do...

But it is possible..

please notify me, too, when you get more Information..

--
Bye,...
Don't trust your eyes. It's just an imagination of your brain !

woju@mist.sub.org
woju@image.in-berlin.de
woju@neon.in-berlin.de

(c) by Wolfgang Jung, Berlin (date look at header !!)

jhenders@jonh.wimsey.bc.ca (John Henders) (11/23/90)

In <A0awf5lm@mist.sub.org>, Wolfgang Jung writes:
>In <1990Nov17.195344.22424@watdragon.waterloo.edu>, Steven W. Klassen writes:
>-<I have an Atari Megafile 60 which is filling up fast.  It is possible
>-<to expand this without shelling out all the money for a second
>-<megafile 60?  Specifically, can I simply add another drive to the
>-<interface in my current Megafile?
>
>please notify me, too, when you get more Information..

	I looked at a friends megafile 30 recently, and if the 60 is the
same, the only thing that has to be done is ad the connector for the
small (34?) pin scsi cable. The Megafile board has both the acsi and
the scsi boards on one big board. They left the connector for the
second drive control cable off, but sucking out the solder and putting
one in is probably pretty easy.

--
          John Henders        jhenders@jonh.wimsey.bc.ca
          Vancouver,B.C.      or jhenders@wimsey.bc.ca

csbrod@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Claus Brod ) (11/29/90)

jhenders@jonh.wimsey.bc.ca (John Henders) writes:

>	I looked at a friends megafile 30 recently, and if the 60 is the
>same, the only thing that has to be done is ad the connector for the
>small (34?) pin scsi cable. The Megafile board has both the acsi and
>the scsi boards on one big board. They left the connector for the
>second drive control cable off, but sucking out the solder and putting
>one in is probably pretty easy.
Won't suffice, unfortunately. Pin 17 and pin 18 of the second drive
control connector are connected to ground, which makes reading from
the second drive impossible. You have to clip off one resistor, leading
from pin 17 to ground, and remove the connection of pin 18 to ground on
the lower side of the controller motherboard. You'll also nead special
driver software that's aware of the second drive. AHDI won't work.
I don't know if the ICD driver will help you, but I think you'll
at least have to patch it because it looks for special ICD hardware
before running. My driver (CBHD) knows about second drives and works
with all kinds of ACSI hard drives I know, including Megafile 30 and 60.

Claus Brod, Am Felsenkeller 2,			Things. Take. Time.
D-8772 Marktheidenfeld, West Germany		(Piet Hein)
csbrod@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de

Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz (11/29/90)

<1990Nov17.195344.22424@watdragon.waterloo.edu>
<A0awjyhw@jonh.wimsey.bc.ca>
Sender:Roger Sheppard
Comment-To: jhenders@jonh.wimsey.bc.ca

In article <A0awjyhw@jonh.wimsey.bc.ca> jhenders@jonh.wimsey.bc.ca
writes:
> In <A0awf5lm@mist.sub.org>, Wolfgang Jung writes:
> >In <1990Nov17.195344.22424@watdragon.waterloo.edu>, Steven W. Klassen
writes:
> >-<I have an Atari Megafile 60 which is filling up fast.  It is
possible
> >-<to expand this without shelling out all the money for a second
> >-<megafile 60?  Specifically, can I simply add another drive to the
> >-<interface in my current Megafile?
> >
> >please notify me, too, when you get more Information..
> >

>  I looked at a friends megafile 30 recently, and if the 60 is the
> same, the only thing that has to be done is ad the connector for the
> small (34?) pin scsi cable. The Megafile board has both the acsi and
> the scsi boards on one big board. They left the connector for the
> second drive control cable off, but sucking out the solder and putting
> one in is probably pretty easy.
>
> --
>           John Henders        jhenders@jonh.wimsey.bc.ca
>           Vancouver,B.C.      or jhenders@wimsey.bc.ca
>                               or ubc.cs!van-bc!jonh!jhenders

There was a article some time back on how to do it, as Atari modify
the Controlor, apparently a Adaptec so that you ca't do this, a friend
here did try it with a SH205 some time back and that did not work
each of the drives would work but not both together, if i remember was
some hardware mods..

--
Roger W. Sheppard   85 Donovan Rd, Kapiti New Zealand...