[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] Boot Sector Writer

psurge@cs.utexas.edu (Troy Carpenter) (12/02/90)

I was looking through my ST internals book, and fond an (X?)BIOS routine to
write a boot sector on a disk.  Now, if anyone read (and hardly anyone replied)
my last post about my boot sector on the HD crashed and I wanted a program to
rewrite my boot sector.

What I want to know is is it possible to write a program (hopefully in Personal
pascal because that is the only language I have on floppy, my Sozobon C was on
the hard disk!!) that will ask for sizes and the like and pass all the
appropriate parameters to this routine.  (Ok, I know that can be done) BUT,
will I get a boot sector on my Hard Drive, or does this routine only work on
floppy disks.

Sorry I cannot tell you the routine name, I am not at home with my ST Interals
book.  However if there is confusion and those "in the know" do not know what
routine I am refering to, then I will post the procedure name when I get home,
if someone asks about it.

For those who do know what I am talking about, what parameters do I need to
pass for this routine to work.  The book only discusses the use of Floppy disks,
But I need to know for my Hard Disk (20megs, 4 partitions).

Thanks,

                                Troy Carpenter
                        Department of Computer Sciences
                        THE University of Texas, Austin
                              psurge@cs.utexas.edu

"You're so open minded that your brain leaked out" - Steve Taylor

*>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The best thing in life costs exactly that <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<*

wallace@ynotme.enet.dec.com (Ray Wallace) (12/04/90)

In article <15308@cs.utexas.edu>, psurge@cs.utexas.edu (Troy Carpenter) writes...
>I was looking through my ST internals book, and fond an (X?)BIOS routine to
>write a boot sector on a disk.  Now, if anyone read (and hardly anyone replied)
The routine you are referring to, will only create a floppy compatible boot
sector, not a hard disk boot sector.

---
Ray Wallace
		(INTERNET,UUCP) wallace@oldtmr.enet.dec.com
		(UUCP)		...!decwrl!oldtmr.enet!wallace
		(INTERNET)	wallace%oldtmr.enet@decwrl.dec.com
---

Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz (12/05/90)

In article <1990Dec4.000227.7143@engage.enet.dec.com>
wallace@ynotme.enet.dec.com (Ray Wallace) writes:

> In article <15308@cs.utexas.edu>, psurge@cs.utexas.edu (Troy
Carpenter) writes...
> >I was looking through my ST internals book, and fond an (X?)BIOS
routine to
> >write a boot sector on a disk.  Now, if anyone read (and hardly
anyone replied)
> The routine you are referring to, will only create a floppy compatible
boot
> sector, not a hard disk boot sector.
>
> ---
> Ray Wallace
>   (INTERNET,UUCP) wallace@oldtmr.enet.dec.com
>   (UUCP)  ...!decwrl!oldtmr.enet!wallace
>   (INTERNET) wallace%oldtmr.enet@decwrl.dec.com
> ---
There are the Supra Hard Disk Utils that will let you do this
there are A set of the Old PD ones on Genie, also is it not
posible to just reinstall the Booter, I use ICD Utills, and run
there from a Floppy, and just select the Boot option, this installs
the code into the boot sector and the Driver onto the hard disk.
The Supra Utils lets you Read and Write Sectors, plus make the
Boot Sector executable, there is also a util that will backup
boot sectors,partitions, etc. Mirror2 are some thing like that.

--
Roger W. Sheppard   85 Donovan Rd, Kapiti New Zealand...

woju@mist.sub.org (Wolfgang Jung) (12/05/90)

In <15308@cs.utexas.edu>, Troy Carpenter writes:
-<my last post about my boot sector on the HD crashed and I wanted a program to
-<rewrite my boot sector.
-<

You should use the SED from Claus Brod from his Book 'Scheibenkleister'
With it your harddisk will follow your Steps :-)

-<What I want to know is is it possible to write a program (hopefully in Personal
-<pascal because that is the only language I have on floppy, my Sozobon C was on
-<the hard disk!!) that will ask for sizes and the like and pass all the
-<appropriate parameters to this routine.  (Ok, I know that can be done) BUT,
-<will I get a boot sector on my Hard Drive, or does this routine only work on
-<floppy disks.

this XBIOS Routine only accesses Floppy-Disks .....

-<But I need to know for my Hard Disk (20megs, 4 partitions).

You should get a copy of Claus Brods 'Scheibenkleister' hopefully translated
into your Language, it is writte in german :-) Or an simalar english book,
there should be some ...

--
Bye,...
Don't trust your eyes. It's just an imagination of your brain !

woju@mist.sub.org
woju@image.in-berlin.de
woju@neon.in-berlin.de

(c) by Wolfgang Jung, Berlin (date look at header !!)