[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] HDX 3.01

ralph@laas.fr (Ralph P. Sobek) (11/29/90)

I have recently recovered HDX301.LZH from atari.archive.  The
readme.1st file describes a certain HDX301.ARC, of which this file
seems to be a recompression.

I have an old SH 204 hard drive which uses AHDI version 1.  Would it
be advisable to replace my old AHDI.PRG with the new version?  Atari's
documentation (readme.1st) only seems to reference megafiles, which
mine is *not*.  Do I have to reinstall the the drive?  I would prefer
*not* to reformat the drive!  I am willing to upgrade if the new AHDI
is more reliable; it *is* bigger!

--
Ralph P. Sobek			  Disclaimer: The above ruminations are my own.
ralph@laas.fr				   Addresses are ordered by importance.

GERLOFF@tubvm.cs.tu-berlin.de (Olaf Gerloff) (12/05/90)

In article <RALPH.90Nov29123503@orion.laas.fr>, ralph@laas.fr (Ralph P. Sobek)
says:

>I have an old SH 204 hard drive which uses AHDI version 1.  Would it
>be advisable to replace my old AHDI.PRG with the new version?  Atari's
>documentation (readme.1st) only seems to reference megafiles, which
>mine is *not*.  Do I have to reinstall the the drive?  I would prefer
>*not* to reformat the drive!  I am willing to upgrade if the new AHDI
>is more reliable; it *is* bigger!

Hello Ralph!

You can use AHDI 3.01 with your SH 204, but you must reinstall the drive.
I would advise you to do this, because the old HDX versions can't detect
bad blocks on the drive correct. Another advantage from AHDI 3.01 is, that
you can use more than four partitions on one drive and that the partitions
can be bigger than 16MB. So you can use your 20MB completely for C:.

For installing the new AHDI you must use HDX for reformating and partitioning
your drive. The wincap-file for my HDX knows the SH204. If your copy doesn't
know it try SH205 or MEHAFILE 20 instead. After that procedure you can
install the new driver with HINSTALL.PRG so that AHDI can be booted from HD.

Greetings, Olaf

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (12/08/90)

GERLOFF@tubvm.cs.tu-berlin.de (Olaf Gerloff) writes:
>You can use AHDI 3.01 with your SH 204, but you must reinstall the drive.
>I would advise you to do this, because the old HDX versions can't detect
>bad blocks on the drive correct. Another advantage from AHDI 3.01 is, that
>you can use more than four partitions on one drive and that the partitions
>can be bigger than 16MB. So you can use your 20MB completely for C:.

You don't have to re-format or re-partition the drive to take advantage
of the new driver.  You do have to run HINSTALL from the new
distribution: it will re-write the root and boot sectors in addition to
copying the new driver to the disk.

On the other hand, you do get some advantages when you reformat with 3.01.
As Olaf said, you can have partitions greater than 16MB, and more than four
per drive, but in addition you get better bad-sector tracking.  Besides,
isn't it time for a full backup anyway? :-)

By the way, 3.01 won't let you repartition an old-format drive without
reformatting.  Just so you know.