[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] Megafile 30 connect to ICD?

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (12/17/90)

A friend is bringing his Megafile 30 over to my place next week.  I
want to connect it to the Expansion Out port on my ICD case to copy
files from my HD to his.  Is this possible?  What other things must I
do to each drive so that they work together?  What about drive
designations?  If I keep my CDEFG as CDEFG, what will his CDE...etc.
drives become?

Thanks a bunch for the info!

--
         Ed Krimen  ...............................................
   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
   |||   INTERNET: ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu  FREENET: al661
  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261        FIDONET: 1:119/4.0

fischer-michael@cs.yale.edu (Michael Fischer) (12/18/90)

In article <1990Dec17.004834.1098@ecst.csuchico.edu> ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) writes:
>A friend is bringing his Megafile 30 over to my place next week.  I
>want to connect it to the Expansion Out port on my ICD case to copy
>files from my HD to his.  Is this possible?  What other things must I
>do to each drive so that they work together?  What about drive
>designations?  If I keep my CDEFG as CDEFG, what will his CDE...etc.
>drives become?

Hard drives are usually set to dma address 0.  You will have to open
up one of your drives and change its dma address to 1 by changing DIP
switches or moving jumpers.  If you make your friend's drive unit 1,
then his CDE... partitions will come up after your partitions, as
HIJ... .  Be warned that opening the case may void your warranty!!!
| Michael Fischer <fischer-michael@cs.yale.edu>  |

ripley@opal.cs.tu-berlin.de (Hans-Ch. Eckert) (12/18/90)

In article <27834@cs.yale.edu> fischer-michael@cs.yale.edu (Michael Fischer) writes:

   Hard drives are usually set to dma address 0.  You will have to open
   up one of your drives and change its dma address to 1 by changing DIP
   switches or moving jumpers.  If you make your friend's drive unit 1,
   then his CDE... partitions will come up after your partitions, as
   HIJ... .  Be warned that opening the case may void your warranty!!!

A friend of mine has bought a ready-made harddisk (SCSi-drive and ICD-
hostadaptor) which has dipswitches outside for this. I can only
recommend this approach to any harddisk-builder !
Such a thing would contribute to my decision whether to buy a certain
drive or not. (Supposed I'd buy a ready-made drive, that is)

Greetings,
				RIPLEY
--
Greetings from RIPLEY | D-1000 Berlin 30    | ripley@opal.cs.tu-berlin.de