[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] Drawing objects/interaction with windows.

andrew@.cs.utk.edu (Andrew Krzywdzinski) (12/15/90)

In the GEM application I'm writing, I'd like to be able to put a
bitmap/logo in the middle of the screen (i.e. like TURTLE or ARCGSH do).
I constructed one using the Resource Construction Program, and can
display it ok (as an object). But, when I invoke a desk acc. that
opens a window (i.e. Control Panel), and then close it, I get no
message from evnt_multi that the screen has to be redrawn, and the
accessory with the window does not update the stuff under it
(so that my logo disappears!).

I tried opening a 'dummy' window for the whole screen to get on the
window update list, but although now I get the update message, weird things
happen on the screen.

There just has to be a correct way of doing this (making sure that my
logo is always updated when necessary). If anybody knows about this,
I would be in your debt forever if you let me in on the secret.

Please send e-mail to andrew@cs.utk.edu.
Thanks,

-andrew krzywdzinski

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (12/15/90)

andrew@.cs.utk.edu (Andrew Krzywdzinski) writes:
>I tried opening a 'dummy' window for the whole screen to get on the
>window update list, but although now I get the update message, weird things
>happen on the screen.

That's because the AES decided your window covered the whole screen,
and therefore your redraw would take care of everything, and it didn't
have to update anything.  The right way is to open a window just
the size and location of the logo.  Then that window will get redraw
messages when parts of it are exposed, and the Desktop background
will get redraw messages for the rest of the screen.

Alex.Valdez@bbs.actrix.gen.nz (12/18/90)

In article <1990Dec14.183620.13254@cs.utk.edu> andrew@.cs.utk.edu
(Andrew Krzywdzinski) writes:
> In the GEM application I'm writing, I'd like to be able to put a
> bitmap/logo in the middle of the screen (i.e. like TURTLE or ARCGSH
do).

Try calling wind_set(WF_NEWDESK, ...). This tells GEM that the desktop
is now the object tree you created and will redraw it everytime the
desk is exposed. You won't receive evnt_multi messages to redraw the
desktop, AES will do it for you!

--
Alex Valdez