[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] PC emulators with VGA support.

robertl@alpha.la.locus.com (Robert Lee) (12/05/90)

I was wondering if there are any PC emulator products that
support VGA video modes that are currently out or will
soon be released.

I need the abilty to run PC/VGA software in a few months and
would prefer not to have to buy a PC to run one program.

Thanks,
Robert Lee
robertl@locus.com

s37837k@saha.hut.fi (Jari Lehto) (12/16/90)

You should consider this:
Delta Modul AT-emulator by Omega Computer Systems GmbH, Germany
Board: 80386sx + 16kb cache, MC68000 16 MHz + 16kb cache, math-co-processor
sockets for both.
Optional: 3 x 16bit AT-slot, 4 Mb RAM for multitasking...

All STs (except STE)
For address, faxnumber, prices and things like that please ask!

	*** Jari Lehto, jartsu@otax.hut.fi, s37837k@saha.hut.fi ***

adamd@rhi.hi.is (Adam David) (12/16/90)

In <1990Dec15.185420.6758@santra.uucp> s37837k@saha.hut.fi (Jari Lehto) writes:

>You should consider this:
>Delta Modul AT-emulator by Omega Computer Systems GmbH, Germany
>Board: 80386sx + 16kb cache, MC68000 16 MHz + 16kb cache, math-co-processor

>All STs (except STE)

Why not STE? there can't be that much shortage of room in the box.
Will someone bring out a 386dx + 68030 board for the Mega series?

just a thought,

Adam David.  adamd@rhi.hi.is

ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Gerald Greenberg) (12/16/90)

In article <2545@krafla.rhi.hi.is> adamd@rhi.hi.is (Adam David) writes:
>In <1990Dec15.185420.6758@santra.uucp> s37837k@saha.hut.fi (Jari Lehto) writes:
>
>>You should consider this:
>>Delta Modul AT-emulator by Omega Computer Systems GmbH, Germany
>>Board: 80386sx + 16kb cache, MC68000 16 MHz + 16kb cache, math-co-processor
>>All STs (except STE)
>Why not STE? there can't be that much shortage of room in the box.
>Will someone bring out a 386dx + 68030 board for the Mega series?
>just a thought,
>Adam David.  adamd@rhi.hi.is
ATSpeed, which is out now, emulates EGA and VGA monochrome.
Of course, if the software makes hardware calls directly to
the video adapter, then the emulator will probably not be able
to handle it (then again, this will probably be hard for any
emulator).  The idea of having an actual VGA card along with
an emulator (a la the proposed card for SuperCharger) might be
the way you have to do it.
In any event, I've got ATSpeed now and I really like it.  It
can handle Windows (I don't have 3.0, yet), and it even runs a
piece of software that involves different fonts and keyboard
remappings...the key is being able to load different fonts,
and this is accomplished by a dos program provided with the
emulator itself.
Regards,
Gerry
ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu
maxg@suvm   (bitnet)

s37837k@saha.hut.fi (Jari Lehto) (12/17/90)

Why not STE? Because of STE has its 68000 on PLCC-socket and other STs
have it on DIL/DIP package.
An adapter for STE is only a question of time, maybe someone can make one
himself, I would give a try. And Vortex has an adapter to connect ATonce
to STE, that should work with other expansions as well.

What are you saying? I fits to Megas as well, no difference!!!
It can not even be considered to be mounted to the megabus because
you should remove the old 68000 anyway. ST cannot tolerate two 68000s!

	*** Jari Lehto, jartsu@otax.hut.fi, s37837k@saha.hut.fi ***

adamd@rhi.hi.is (Adam David) (12/18/90)

In <1990Dec16.225758.18535@santra.uucp> s37837k@saha.hut.fi (Jari Lehto) writes:

>What are you saying? I fits to Megas as well, no difference!!!

Aha, what I was actually saying:
Maybe there's not enough room in a non-Mega for _lotsa_ extra hardware.
I have a 1040 with two internal drives, internal Spectre GCR, ST-QL shifter
board, 16Mhz Hypercache. All that without removing the shielding. I'm not
sure there's going to be enough room in there for a board with 386, '030 and
their two FPUs. On the other hand I've been considering replacing the PSU with
a slimline hard disk (both the same size), and using an external PSU.
Old style disk-drive connectors cannot be unplugged by accident, unlike the
standard ST power cord. It seems also to make better sense to have DC power
backup than using mains voltage AC inverters just to get back to old DC.

>you should remove the old 68000 anyway. ST cannot tolerate two 68000s!

Well, it would be nice to try, if that was the excuse needed in order to ditch
TOS for good :-) What about one for I/O and one for CPU work.

Greetings,

Adam David.  adamd@rhi.hi.is

s37837k@saha.hut.fi (Jari Lehto) (12/20/90)

Your 1040 is definitely a neat package! My 1040 has a brand new Tower-
housing to fit all extras inside, including two Seagates.
My ST also has two drives, Spectre GCR and HyperCache, but it also
has 4Mb RAM expansion and Vortex ATonce AT-emulator.
You should get a tower also!
What is ST-QL shifter????????????
If you are planning to get the Delta Modul, your HyperCache will
become an orphan, hope you'll find a nice home for it...snif.

Where are you planning to get 68030 fitting to ST???
Do you think that Gadgets by Small gets their thing working?

By the way, I have a german friend, a real electronics wizard.
His ST has 4Gb RAM (!!!) and four parallel 68030 running over
30 MHz!!! I have several times asked him to go to markets with
these superior upgrades, but he says "never, I'll lose my privacy that way".
Hope someone else can make these things work someday...

Oh, sorry! I almost forgot it! There is the HyperCache 030, it has
68030 with cache, but it is not compatible with all software, so forget
it again (at least I will!)

	*** Jari Lehto, jartsu@otax.hut.fi, s37837k@saha.hut.fi ***