[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] Maxidisk- The best ramdisk there is

pv@polari.UUCP (Paul Varn) (12/11/90)

While people are proposing their favorite ram disks, I have to say something
about Maxidisk.

Maxidisk will auto boot from an Auto folder.  It will also start from the
desktop.  It's non-volitile.  It will also auto copy disks, directories, or
files contained in directories during boot up.  Any size is selectable up to
memory limits.  Maxidisk is easy to configure
by editing a simple two line file with a text editor.  Best of all, it
COMPRESSES.  Everything that goes in to Maxidisk is compressed 40 to 60%.
When you look at the file sizes, the orriginal uncompressed sizes are shown.
When you look at the total bytes, you become amazed when you see 550K worth
of data in your 400K ram disk!  OK...I will better one yet.  It's PD!

I've not found any program that will not run from it.  Since I don't have a
hard drive, Maxidisk gives me the ability to do things on my one meg Atari
that most people can't (like copying 800K floppies into ram with a 700K
ram disk and still run programs).  One little problem.  The documentation is
very poor and misleading.  Requests sent to me for copies will get my little
correction addendum.  You might want to check this one out.  You'll be very
suprised.
-PV-
     /+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+\
     +   COMMENTS COMPLIMENTS CONTINOUS COMPLAINTS   +
     "             COURTESY: Paul Varn               "
     +   UUCP: pv@polari             GEnie: p.varn   +
     \+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+/

dmb@wam.umd.edu (David M. Baggett) (12/13/90)

In article <2875@polari.UUCP> pv@polari.UUCP (Paul Varn) writes:
>While people are proposing their favorite ram disks, I have to say something
>about Maxidisk.
>[good stuff about how Maxidisk compresses, autocopies, etc.]

Does Maxidisk handle files bigger than 512K?  I don't know why, but most
of the RAMdisks I've tried seem unable to handle big files.  To test
any given RAMdisk, I copy nethack.ttp (> 600K) into the RAMdisk, and
then try to run it.  With almost all RAMdisk drivers I've found you
get two bombs when you try to run the copy.  :-(

Edisk is a notable exception to this rule.   Does anyone know why
big files cause problems with most RAMdisks?

Dave Baggett
dmb%wam.umd.edu@uunet.uu.net

andrew@cs.utk.edu (Andrew Krzywdzinski) (12/14/90)

In article <1990Dec13.140513.26615@wam.umd.edu> dmb%wam.umd.edu@uunet.uu.net (David M. Baggett) writes:

>Does Maxidisk handle files bigger than 512K?  I don't know why, but most
>of the RAMdisks I've tried seem unable to handle big files.  To test
>any given RAMdisk, I copy nethack.ttp (> 600K) into the RAMdisk, and
>then try to run it.  With almost all RAMdisk drivers I've found you
>get two bombs when you try to run the copy.  :-(
>
>Dave Baggett
>dmb%wam.umd.edu@uunet.uu.net

Hmmm. If you have a 1040, isn't 1040/2 = 520 ? I always thought that if
you have a ramdisk, the program still has to be "loaded" into the memory.
It's just that it is so much quicker to copy memory->memory, it's not
noticeable.
So unless I'm totally off on this one, you won't be able to run files
bigger than 512K unless you get a memory upgrade...:-(

-andrew krzywdzinski  (andrew@cs.utk.edu)

ralph@laas.fr (Ralph P. Sobek) (12/14/90)

In article <1990Dec13.160126.20497@cs.utk.edu> andrew@cs.utk.edu (Andrew Krzywdzinski) writes:

|  Hmmm. If you have a 1040, isn't 1040/2 = 520 ? I always thought that if
|  you have a ramdisk, the program still has to be "loaded" into the memory.
|  It's just that it is so much quicker to copy memory->memory, it's not
|  noticeable.
|  So unless I'm totally off on this one, you won't be able to run files
|  bigger than 512K unless you get a memory upgrade...:-(

This is wrong!  It depends on *how* the file is copied to the RAM
disk.  On my old 1040 ST I've had RAM disks as large as 700 Kb.  Never
had trouble with huge files.  Only if gulam had less than 60 Kb
available to do the copying.

Cheers,

--
Ralph P. Sobek			  Disclaimer: The above ruminations are my own.
ralph@laas.fr				   Addresses are ordered by importance.

ljdickey@watmath.waterloo.edu (L.J.Dickey) (12/19/90)

Recently, someone mentioned  Maxidisk.
I would like to try this.  Does anyone know a source?

ralph@laas.fr (Ralph P. Sobek) (12/20/90)

In article <1990Dec18.165843.8881@watmath.waterloo.edu> ljdickey@watmath.waterloo.edu (L.J.Dickey) writes:

|    Recently, someone mentioned  Maxidisk.
|    I would like to try this.  Does anyone know a source?

Well, Paul Varn, who informed us about Maxidisk in article <2875@polari.UUCP>,
has kindly sent me maxidisk.arc!!

I have uploaded maxidisk.arc to atari.archive.  You should see it
available shortly.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all Atari enthusiasts!