[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] RAM expansions

billm@CSUFresno.EDU (Bill Mills) (12/19/90)

I have gotten a hold of an ST second hand.  It is a 520, with 1 meg
upgrade.  The upgrade is an AERCO EasieST Solderless RAM board, and was
installed by a shop in San Lois Obispo, CA (That's what the previous
owner told me).  I have none of the docs for this board.  It has 32
sockets, with 18 pins each.  16 of these sockets are populated with 32K
150ns RAMs with 16 pins each.  The extra 4 pins that are open on the
sockets all halve solder traces connected to them, so it seems likely
that this board can handle larger (18 pin DIP) chips.

My questions:

Does Aerco still exist, and if so, where can I get a hold of them?
Is any-thing more than plugging in 16 more 32k chips required to take my
machine to 1.5 meg?
Will using faster RAM speed up any operations that use the memory in the
card?
Can I replace the 32k chips with 64, or even 256K chips (all of which
are very inexpensive these days) to go upwards toward 4 meg?
Any help will be greatly appreciated, please respond via e-mail.
-Bill Mills
Disclaimer: These comments are my own, and I doubt that anyone else
would want to claim them anyhow.   Bill Mills
   Captain, BoBs Biz Boys paintball team

ttensfeldt@eagle.wesleyan.edu (Thomas Tensfeldt) (12/19/90)

In article <1990Dec18.212338.1351@CSUFresno.EDU>, billm@CSUFresno.EDU (Bill Mills) writes:
> Keywords:EasieST Solderless RAM
>
> I have gotten a hold of an ST second hand.  It is a 520, with 1 meg
> upgrade.  The upgrade is an AERCO EasieST Solderless RAM board, and was
> installed by a shop in San Lois Obispo, CA (That's what the previous
> owner told me).  I have none of the docs for this board.  It has 32
> sockets, with 18 pins each.  16 of these sockets are populated with 32K
> 150ns RAMs with 16 pins each.  The extra 4 pins that are open on the
> sockets all halve solder traces connected to them, so it seems likely
> that this board can handle larger (18 pin DIP) chips.
>
> My questions:
>
> Does Aerco still exist, and if so, where can I get a hold of them?
> Is any-thing more than plugging in 16 more 32k chips required to take my
> machine to 1.5 meg?
> Will using faster RAM speed up any operations that use the memory in the
> card?
> Can I replace the 32k chips with 64, or even 256K chips (all of which
> are very inexpensive these days) to go upwards toward 4 meg?
> Any help will be greatly appreciated, please respond via e-mail.
> -Bill Mills
> --
> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
> Disclaimer: These comments are my own, and I doubt that anyone else
> would want to claim them anyhow.   Bill Mills
>    Captain, BoBs Biz Boys paintball team
Bill,

  I have one of those Aerco Boards. I do not know if there was more than
one version of it or not. The board I have allows plugging in 16 each
41265 (150 nanosecond or faster) for 1.0 megabyte total OR

16 each TC511000P (120 nanosecond or faster) (this is an 18 pin DRAM, 1
megabit) for 2.5 megabyte.

Originally I used the board to just get 1 meg. I just recently purchased
16 of the TC511000P chips and removed the 256 drams on the board and placed
the new 1 megabit chips in the other bank. It worked like a charm.

Eventually I would like to go to 4 megs. I know that this board claims to
be able to do this. What I do not know is if it is a simple as just
plugging in 16 more TC511000P chips. I have a suspicion that it is somewhat
more complicated than that.

Note that the 16 256K drams are in the bank furthest away from the the edge
card connectors.

When installing the 1 megabit rams, remove the 256 K chips and put the
1 megabit chips in the bank closest to the edge card connectors.

The address for Aerco is

Aerco
Box 18093
Austin TX 78760
512-451-5874

I have no idea if they are still in business or not. I guess I ought to call
them and see.

If anyone has additional information about bringing one of these boards to 4
megs please let me know thanks...

btw.. I have no affiliation with Aerco and if your machine dies when working
on it, I disclaim any liability. Of course if any of this works then it is
because of me. Natch...
  Tom Tensfeldt           Bitnet: TTENSFELDT%Eagle.WESLYN@Wesleyan.Bitnet
                        Internet: TTENSFELDT@Eagle.Wesleyan.Edu

                  4 Laurel Avenue, Ledyard,    CT 06339 (203)-464-9009
  Pfizer, Inc.,   Box 100,         Groton,     CT 06340 (203)-441-4835
  Chemistry Dept, Wesleyan Univ,   Middletown, CT       (203)-347-9411 X2635

ric@mcrware.UUCP (Ric Yeates) (12/21/90)

In article <1990Dec19.085247.37103@eagle.wesleyan.edu> ttensfeldt@eagle.wesleyan.edu (Thomas Tensfeldt) writes:

>Eventually I would like to go to 4 megs. I know that this board claims to
>be able to do this. What I do not know is if it is a simple as just
>plugging in 16 more TC511000P chips. I have a suspicion that it is somewhat
>more complicated than that.

You guessed.  I asked Aerco at one point.  They said they could FAX me the
instructions and that it required trace cutting.  That first bank is designed
for 256K DRAMs, which aren't pin compatible with 1M DRAMS.  They said that the
trace cutting necessary was to rewire each socket in some special way.

>I have no idea if they are still in business or not. I guess I ought to call
>them and see.

Yes, they are.

Later,
Ric

Ric Yeates                                             Microware Systems Corp.
  "I found these opinions on the floor, so I don't think they belong
                                                              to Microware."
                         1. Grease Generously
                         2. Wax Philosophically