[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] Internal mods.

adamd@rhi.hi.is (Adam David) (12/22/90)

In <1990Dec19.215931.23540@santra.uucp> s37837k@saha.hut.fi (Jari Lehto) writes:

>You should get a tower also!

Well, the whole purpose of the exercise was to see what could be fitted in the
standard box, so a tower could not be considered. The only shielding I had to
remove was the thin bit under the disk drives, the lower drive shields out most
if not all of the gap. BTW I looked inside a STacy the other day, to fit
anything extra in there would need throwing out the main board :-)

>What is ST-QL shifter????????????

It is the hardware part of the ST-QL emulator (from Jochen Merz Software and/or
QJump). The shifter board provides overscan capabilities, though I think they're
still working on the drivers for that aspect. It's main purpose is to provide
512*256*4colour screen for running standard software under the emulator (multi-
tasking OS, ST device drivers, and software). BTW if anyone out there is still
waiting to hear from me about this I shall be preparing a review as soon as I
get the custom addressing chip together. (No I'm not rebuilding GLUE, only
patching).

>If you are planning to get the Delta Modul, your HyperCache will
>become an orphan, hope you'll find a nice home for it...snif.

Anything goes, it can be fitted to virtually any 68000 computer but the GAL
addressing has to be changed to redefine the memory map. Have to do that one
anyway for custom ST address ranges. As for the Intel/Motorola hybrid board,
it would need to have a 68030 and fit a Mega STE.

>Where are you planning to get 68030 fitting to ST???
>Do you think that Gadgets by Small gets their thing working?

According to recent posts it has been seen demonstrated, it'll whip the socks
off anything. It looks _really_ good but there's just not room in a 1040 the way
the board is designed. Does anyone know whether it can be fitted to a Mega STE?

>By the way, I have a german friend, a real electronics wizard.
>His ST has 4Gb RAM (!!!) and four parallel 68030 running over
            ^^^^^^^
Was that 1GB per CPU or some other configuration?
If you know any more about any of this, then do tell (if it's for real).
What OS does he use and what does he use his computer for mainly?

Oh, one more question:
Does anyone know of an amiga emulator for the STE range?

Seasons greetings,

Adam David.  adamd@rhi.hi.is