[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] Latest version of GDOS

jlf@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (Jack L Forester,,2933607,6526712) (12/28/90)

From article <2790@atari.UUCP>, by apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt):

[Interesting facts about Line A removed]

> it's GDOS's fault, not VDI's, and newer GDOSes are faster.

> Opinions expressed above do not necessarily	-- Allan Pratt, Atari Corp.
> reflect those of Atari Corp. or anyone else.	  ...ames!atari!apratt

One question...

What is the most recent version of GDOS?  I'm using version 1.2 and it
does slow screen graphics down.  It's most apparent in the zoom boxes.

--
Jack Forester, Jr.          * Disclaimer:  My opinions are mine and mine     *
jlf@a.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu      *              alone!  I don't share my opinions *

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (12/29/90)

jlf@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (Jack L Forester,,2933607,6526712) writes:
>What is the most recent version of GDOS?  I'm using version 1.2 and it
>does slow screen graphics down.  It's most apparent in the zoom boxes.

I jumped the gun: the "new GDOS" I referred to isn't actually available
yet.  You may have heard about it in reports from COMDEX and the
Dusseldorf Atari Fair where it was shown on the TT.

If you're desperate for something faster than GDOS 1.2, you could try
G+PLUS, which is a GDOS workalike from Germany (I think); it is faster,
but not complete, so it's possible that not all drivers and programs
will work correctly with it.  This is not an endorsement of G+PLUS from
Atari; I just happen to know about it.

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (12/30/90)

Allan Pratt writes:

>If you're desperate for something faster than GDOS 1.2, you could try
>G+PLUS, which is a GDOS workalike from Germany (I think); it is faster,
>but not complete, so it's possible that not all drivers and programs
>will work correctly with it.  This is not an endorsement of G+PLUS from
>Atari; I just happen to know about it.

G+PLUS is a commercial product of Codehead Software, written by
Charles F. Johnson and John Eidsvoog... (I can only hope Charles doesn't
read this...  :)

 G+PLUS is a faster *and complete* replacement for GDOS.  Anything which
uses GDOS will work faster and better with G+PLUS.  Unlike GDOS, G+PLUS
is a fully supported product.  Among its advanced features is the ability
to choose among several ASSIGN.SYS files, and to re-load a different one
at any time.

G+PLUS should be available at your "local" Atari dealer for about $25.

BobR

(My God.. you'd think Atari would be a bit more knowledgable about the
world outside of Sunnyvale...)

steveh@tharr.UUCP (Steve Hamley) (12/30/90)

In article <37373@cup.portal.com> Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com writes:
>Allan Pratt writes:
>
>>If you're desperate for something faster than GDOS 1.2, you could try
>>G+PLUS, which is a GDOS workalike from Germany (I think); it is faster,
>>but not complete, so it's possible that not all drivers and programs
>>will work correctly with it.  This is not an endorsement of G+PLUS from
>>Atari; I just happen to know about it.
>
>G+PLUS is a commercial product of Codehead Software, written by
>Charles F. Johnson and John Eidsvoog... (I can only hope Charles doesn't
>read this...  :)

I assume Allan meant AMCGDOS, the GDOS replacement from Germany. This was
originally written as a faster version of GDOS and is now, I think, supported
by Atari Germany. It has a few enhancements over the Atari GDOS,
such as support for Intel and Motorola format fonts. I've not come across
any incompatabilities myself, using it with the Epson FX and PostScript
drivers supplied with Timeworks 1.12 and a variety of programs - Degas,
EasyDraw, Timeworks, and assorted others. Using the Quick Index program,
it results in only a small deterioration in speed. This is compensated for
a bit by its speeding up of the open / close zooms.

csbrod@medusainformatik.uni-erlangen.de (Claus Brod ) (12/31/90)

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) writes:

>If you're desperate for something faster than GDOS 1.2, you could try
>G+PLUS, which is a GDOS workalike from Germany (I think); it is faster,
>but not complete, so it's possible that not all drivers and programs
>will work correctly with it.  This is not an endorsement of G+PLUS from
>Atari; I just happen to know about it.

G+PLUS isn't really a German product, I think. It comes from some US
software house and is being imported to Germany by Bela. AMCGDOS, however,
is fast and from Arnd Beissner, a German VDI expert. New on the scene
is NVDI, a GDOS with an integrated VDI screen driver (very fast and
very clean; will be the successor to Turbo ST in Germany).

Claus Brod, Am Felsenkeller 2,			Things. Take. Time.
D-8772 Marktheidenfeld, West Germany		(Piet Hein)