[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] ANDF

ericco@ssl.berkeley.edu (Eric C. Olson) (12/31/90)

I saw an article recently about Architecture Neutral Data Format
(ANDF) which looked quite interesting.  This is an intermediate
language between source code and machine code that is machine
independent.  The article suggests that future compilers could consist
of two parts:  source to ANDF, ANDF to machine code.  The idea is that
ANDF would be difficult to reverse engineer (to protect software
producers) and would allow allow machine independent software
development.  Thus, a company like Lotus could expand into the
ST market without a heavy cost.  Or, ST developers could reach
elements of the IBM market.

hmmm,
Eric
--
Eric
ericco@ssl.berkeley.edu

dbrooks@penge.osf.org (David Brooks) (12/31/90)

In article <ERICCO.90Dec30122753@sdaf1.ssl.berkeley.edu> ericco@ssl.berkeley.edu (Eric C. Olson) writes:
>I saw an article recently about Architecture Neutral Data Format
>(ANDF) which looked quite interesting.  This is an intermediate
>language between source code and machine code that is machine
>independent.

Essentially correct.  This is a development of the Open Software
Foundation.  It's in a feasibility stage right now; we have yet to
announce the chosen technology (out of 3, I think, submitters) and
bring it out.  Don't hold your breath.

>  Thus, a company like Lotus could expand into the
>ST market without a heavy cost.  Or, ST developers could reach
>elements of the IBM market.

Things being what they are, the initial implementations will probably
be targetted to Unix (or at least Posix) platforms.

For more information, you can call OSF at (617)621-8700.

--
David Brooks				dbrooks@osf.org
Systems Engineering, OSF		uunet!osf.org!dbrooks