[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] MTools

klute@tommy.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Rainer Klute) (12/21/90)

Does anybody have experience with MTools?

I would like to write files to a floppy on my Sun Sparcstation using MTools
and read them with my Atari ST. However, on the ST I can read only the
first one or two sectors, then the last portion of the file is repeated,
then a read error occurs.

On a PC reading the file is no problem. (No, I did not touch the PC myself
- I had someone doing that for me :-).) Consequently MTools works ok but
something is wrong at the ST side.

Any hints?

--
  Dipl.-Inform. Rainer Klute      klute@irb.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
  Univ. Dortmund, IRB             klute@unido.uucp, klute@unido.bitnet

ridderbusch.pad@nixdorf.com (Frank Ridderbusch, PXD-S4) (12/23/90)

R> Does anybody have experience with MTools?

R> I would like to write files to a floppy on my Sun Sparcstation using MTools
R> and read them with my Atari ST. However, on the ST I can read only the
R> first one or two sectors, then the last portion of the file is repeated,
R> then a read error occurs.

R> On a PC reading the file is no problem. (No, I did not touch the PC myself
R> - I had someone doing that for me :-).) Consequently MTools works ok but
R> something is wrong at the ST side.

R> Any hints?

R> --
R>   Dipl.-Inform. Rainer Klute      klute@irb.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
R>   Univ. Dortmund, IRB             klute@unido.uucp, klute@unido.bitnet
R>   Postfach 500500         |)|/    Tel.: +49 231 755-4663
R> D-4600 Dortmund 50        |\|\    Fax : +49 231 755-2386

I am also using Mtools on my local un*x box and had the same problems
that you mention (My Mtools was an older version, not 2.0). Further
investigation showed, that Mtools only wrote and updated one File
Allocation Table (FAT). While PC's have not trouble with this, the ST
does. My sources of Mtools had a define in it to allow writing of both
FAT's. After recompiling the Mtools worked okay.

Hope, this helps.
--
MfG/Regards

     /====                          Siemens Nixdorf Informationssysteme AG
    /   Ridderbusch         / ,    Heinz Nixdorf Ring
   /                       /./    4790 Paderborn, West Germany
  /=== /,== ,===/  /,==,  //
 /    //   /   /  //   / / \    NERV:ridderbusch.pad
/    /     `==/\ /    / /   \  BTX:0525467066-0001

Email: ridderbusch.pad@nixdorf.com (America (North & South))
       ridderbusch.pad@sni.de      (Rest of world)

klute@tommy.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Rainer Klute) (12/27/90)

In article <RIDDERBUSCH.PAD.90Dec23124057@ugun13.nixdorf.de>,
ridderbusch.pad@nixdorf.com (Frank Ridderbusch, PXD-S4) writes:
|> I am also using Mtools on my local un*x box and had the same problems
|> that you mention (My Mtools was an older version, not 2.0). Further
|> investigation showed, that Mtools only wrote and updated one File
|> Allocation Table (FAT). While PC's have not trouble with this, the ST
|> does. My sources of Mtools had a define in it to allow writing of both
|> FAT's. After recompiling the Mtools worked okay.

The define's name is DUP_FAT. Just compile init.c with -DDUP_FAT.

--

ralph@laas.fr (Ralph P. Sobek) (01/02/91)

In article <2890@laura.UUCP> klute@tommy.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Rainer Klute) writes:

|  In article <RIDDERBUSCH.PAD.90Dec23124057@ugun13.nixdorf.de>,
|  ridderbusch.pad@nixdorf.com (Frank Ridderbusch, PXD-S4) writes:
|  |> I am also using Mtools on my local un*x box and had the same problems
|  |> that you mention (My Mtools was an older version, not 2.0).

I have posted an ST compatible patch to one of the newsgroups which
redid the DEFINE and also patched the volume name for Gulam!  By the
way, where is Mtools 2.0 available for FTP?

P.S.  PC's also have trouble with the single FAT: it depends upon
which application you use.

--
Ralph P. Sobek			  Disclaimer: The above ruminations are my own.
ralph@laas.fr				   Addresses are ordered by importance.

klute@tommy.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Rainer Klute) (01/03/91)

Thanks to everybody who replied to my recent Mtools question here.

Several people suggestest to define DUP_CAT in the file init.c. This worked
fine.

However, the author of Mtools, Emmet P. Gray
(fthood!egray@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu) brought to my attention, that the latest
Mtools version 2.0.3. does not need the DUP_CAT definition anymore. This
version also has bugs removed and new features.

Mr Gray said that he had posted Mtools v2.0 to the unix-pc.sources
newsgroup (and mailed to the moderator of comp.sources.unix) on the 17th of
September 1990. Since then, patches 1, 2, and 3 have been posted to
unix-pc.sources, comp.sources.bugs, and emailed to Rich Salz. In addition,
the current version of Mtools and all patches are available via anonymous
ftp from cerl.cecer.army.mil (129.229.1.101).

I installed this Mtools version on my SPARCstation and I am working (i. e.
interchanging floppies with my Atari ST) with it without problems.