[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] Noisey ICD FaST Setup

cfw@aplpy.jhuapl.edu (Chuck Waltrip) (12/31/90)

I have an ICD FaST disk enclosure with a 60 Mb disk (I believe it's a
Seagate...don't recall the model no.).  I've had this setup about two years.
It has always been noisy...emits a continuous high-pitched whine which I have
always assumed was a fan (although I don't know for sure that it even HAS a
fan).

Anyone know anything about these configurations?  Are they usually noisey?
Can anything be done about the noise?  For instance, should I change the
fan (assuming there is one) to a quieter one?  Is there a plug-compatible,
quieter replacement?  Have I exceeded the threshold for dumb questions yet?

Thanks.

c.f.waltrip	<cfw@aplpy.jhuadpl.edu>
Opinions expressed are strictly my own.

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (01/01/91)

cfw@aplpy.jhuapl.edu (Chuck Waltrip) writes:

- I have an ICD FaST disk enclosure with a 60 Mb disk (I believe it's a
- Seagate...don't recall the model no.).  I've had this setup about two years.
- It has always been noisy...emits a continuous high-pitched whine which I have
- always assumed was a fan (although I don't know for sure that it even HAS a
- fan).

- Anyone know anything about these configurations?  Are they usually noisey?
- Can anything be done about the noise?  For instance, should I change the
- fan (assuming there is one) to a quieter one?  Is there a plug-compatible,
- quieter replacement?  Have I exceeded the threshold for dumb questions yet?

I've had an ICD FaST case with a Seagate 157N-1 for about a year and
a half (installed by Joppa Computers).  The noise, fan or drive,
isn't bad; in fact, other HD owners who have heard it say it's
quieter than their non-ICD drives.  It may be that the drive is
noisier than others or that ICD used a different fan in your model.

--
         Ed Krimen  ...............................................
   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
   |||   INTERNET: ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu  FREENET: al661
  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261        FIDONET: 1:119/4.0

ljdickey@watmath.waterloo.edu (L.J.Dickey) (01/04/91)

In article <1990Dec31.014506.26765@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu> cfw@aplpy.jhuapl.edu (Chuck Waltrip) writes:
>I have an ICD FaST disk enclosure with a 60 Mb disk...
>It has always been noisy...emits a continuous high-pitched whine which I have
>always assumed was a fan (although I don't know for sure that it even HAS a
>fan).

I moved up from a 1040 to a Mega ST2 and was annoyed by the the fan.
Then I bought a hard drive and was annoyed even more by noise of the
hard drive unit (yes it has a fan) and by the noise of the FaST drive's
fan.  I always assumed I could cure the problem by drilling a hole in
the wall and then putting the hard drive on the other side  |:^) .

>Opinions expressed are strictly my own.

Me too.