[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] Host-adaptors

cummins@d.cs.okstate.edu (John Cummins) (12/31/90)

If I recall correctly, the ICD units are available w/o clock now for about a
10 - 15 dollar savings.  They have a BBS with the suggested retail prices
posted at 1 815 968 2229.

Yes... Toad Computers uses them with the SQ-555 removable media 44Meg HD.

I have the original model (with clock, I think the original has been
discontinued....) and I love it.  No removable media drives yet.

I'm still hoping to learn more about the ICD tape backup system...

jc
cummins@d.cs.okstate.edu

ripley@opal.cs.tu-berlin.de (Hans-Ch. Eckert) (12/31/90)

Hello.

I am in the process of switching from a c't-harddisk to a
regular one and I will need a ACSI-SCSI adaptor very soon.

The only problem is, I know next-to-nothing about these beasts.

I've heard good things about the ICD-advantage and that the BMS2000(?)
is the only one to support a certain Seagate-drive with fullspeed.

As the latter problem isn't one for me, I'm tending towards the ICD
at the moment.

Could you fill my knowledge gap about these things, mainly about
different ICD-models and price differences ?

What I need is ACSI-through to connect more devices (SLM et al.)
and SCSI-out to connect another drive eventually.  The ICD's
having an internal clock is quite nice, but it makes them
relatively expensive as well.  Is the ICD-software suitable
for a removable harddisk (SQ 555, aka. Megafile 44) ?

Thanx,
				RIPLEY
--
Greetings from RIPLEY | D-1000 Berlin 30    | ripley@opal.cs.tu-berlin.de
Hans-Christian Eckert | Regensburger Str. 2 | (ripley@tubopal.UUCP)

ripley@opal.cs.tu-berlin.de (Hans-Ch. Eckert) (01/01/91)

In article <1990Dec30.230810.5536@d.cs.okstate.edu> cummins@d.cs.okstate.edu (John Cummins) writes:

   They have a BBS with the suggested retail prices posted at 1 815 968 2229.
That doesn't help me much.  If I called there, I could buy the most
expensive adaptor as well :-)

Greetings,
				RIPLEY

PS: I already got some helpful mail (thanx Bob) in which Supra was
mentionend.  Of course I'd like to have information about these
as well.
--

clf3678@isc.rit.edu (C.L. Freemesser) (01/02/91)

In article <RIPLEY.90Dec31233438@ram.cs.tu-berlin.de> ripley@opal.cs.tu-berlin.de (Hans-Ch. Eckert) writes:

>PS: I already got some helpful mail (thanx Bob) in which Supra was
>mentionend.  Of course I'd like to have information about these
>as well.
>--
>Greetings from RIPLEY | D-1000 Berlin 30    | ripley@opal.cs.tu-berlin.de
>Hans-Christian Eckert | Regensburger Str. 2 | (ripley@tubopal.UUCP)

I own two ICD Host Adapters.  If you plan on buying a new ICD Advantage
Host Adapter, TRASH THE SOFTWARE!  The programs are really poor.  They
don't support SASI devices anymore, and you can't enter your own HD data
for off-brand drive mechs.  I use the Supra software with my Advantage
ST.

Chris Freemesser, Rochester Institute of Technology (  THE ACORN BBS
   |||    BITNET: clf3678@ritvax                     ) (716)436-3078
   |||    Usenet: clf3678@ultb.rit.isc.edu          (  2400 baud/42 megs
  / | \   GEnie: C.FREEMESSER                        ) full Atari support

ritchie@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (David Ritchie) (01/06/91)

>I own two ICD Host Adapters.  If you plan on buying a new ICD Advantage
>Host Adapter, TRASH THE SOFTWARE!  The programs are really poor.  They
>don't support SASI devices anymore, and you can't enter your own HD data
>for off-brand drive mechs.  I use the Supra software with my Advantage
>ST.
>
>Chris Freemesser, Rochester Institute of Technology (  THE ACORN BBS

Chris,
  if you are really wanting to support SCSI devices, you ought to call
the ICD BBS (815)968-2229 and get the old versions of ICDHOST -- They
still support SASI. (whether or not the old versions work with the
Advantage, I do not know).

-- Dave Ritchie
ritchie@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com