[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] uncompression

6600geo@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (George Barrinuevo) (01/07/91)

I have encountered files that are compressed in some
sort of arc'ed format which have the extension .Z.
For example: readme.txt.Z.  What compression program
would uncompress such a file.  I tried ZOO, ARC, and
ZIP, but none of these seems to work.  Also, files
which have the name: readme.tar.Z seem to confuse
me.  What uncompression format and what program
should one use to uncompress such a file.  Any and
all help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank You.

psurge@cs.utexas.edu (Troy Carpenter) (01/07/91)

In article <8011@hub.ucsb.edu>, 6600geo@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (George Barrinuevo) writes:
> I have encountered files that are compressed in some
> sort of arc'ed format which have the extension .Z.
> For example: readme.txt.Z.  What compression program
> would uncompress such a file.  I tried ZOO, ARC, and
> ZIP, but none of these seems to work.  Also, files
> which have the name: readme.tar.Z seem to confuse
> me.  What uncompression format and what program
> should one use to uncompress such a file.  Any and
> all help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank You.

These are Compressed files (don't laugh, that's what it's called!).  From
the command line in Unix type:

uncompress *.Z

This will take all the .Z files and replace them with the uncompressed files.
You can get the COMPRESS.TTP utility from atari.archive in the archivers
directory.  I have not used this on my ST, but I do have it.  First time I
tried it on my ST I got 'not enough memory for this program' or something like
that...

The .tar files are something different altogether.  you might want to do a man
page on tar (type: man tar) and you will see how to use it...I always forget
how to untar things and always have to look at the man page.  It is not that
hard if I remember...maybe someone who does tar more than I can give you the
exact command (Howard?)

                                Troy Carpenter
                        Department of Computer Sciences
                        THE University of Texas, Austin
                              psurge@cs.utexas.edu

"You're so open minded that your brain leaked out" - Steve Taylor

*>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The best thing in life costs exactly that <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<*

suhonen@kunto.jyu.fi (Timo Suhonen) (01/07/91)

In article <8011@hub.ucsb.edu> 6600geo@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (George Barrinuevo) writes:

   I have encountered files that are compressed in some
   sort of arc'ed format which have the extension .Z.

Try (un)compress.. You can find it from atari.archive via anon. ftp.

   Also, files
   which have the name: readme.tar.Z seem to confuse
   me.

First uncompress and then give the file to tar program (also atari.archive).
Should help...

--
Timo Suhonen       I am logged in, therefore I am         suhonen@nic.funet.fi
                                                          suhonen@kunto.jyu.fi

ralph@laas.fr (Ralph P. Sobek) (01/07/91)

Files with the .Z extension are compatible with the Unix(tm)
compress/uncompress programs.  On the ST it's called COMPRESS.TTP.  I
believe that it is available from atari.archive as compress.zoo or
some such!  Cheers.

--
Ralph P. Sobek			  Disclaimer: The above ruminations are my own.
ralph@laas.fr				   Addresses are ordered by importance.