[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] Moving a hard disk

petcher@wuphys.wustl.edu (Donald N. Petcher) (01/08/91)

I just made a move from Florida to the Midwest, USA (Yup I know it is
the wrong direction to go this time of year - my new neighbors wonder
what kind of crazy guy I am) and my hard disk seems to have arrived in
less than satisfactory condition.  It boots up OK, but sometimes some
files are not recognized (including a whole partition that is sometimes
missing) althouh at other times they are there.  I also get a number of
read failures, but the strangest thing is that whenever I execute a
program, when I quit from the program the computer just hangs.  This
only occurs when the hard disk is hooked up.  From floppy everything
looks fine (as far as I can tel so far).  Any clues?  I have a Berkeley
Microsystems BMS200 board hooked up to an Adaptec 4070 and a Seagate 4144R
drive.

--Don Petcher
      petcher@wuphys.uucp
      petcher@wuphys.wustl.edu

ljdickey@watmath.waterloo.edu (L.J.Dickey) (01/09/91)

In article <1991Jan7.212716.16403@wuphys.wustl.edu>
	petcher@wuphys.UUCP (Donald N. Petcher) writes:
 > I just made a move from Florida to the Midwest, USA ...  and my
 > hard disk seems to have arrived in less than satisfactory condition.

I once bought a used hard drive that had to be shipped across the country.
It too had intermittent problems.  About the same time, a friend
of mine starting having similar problems.  We were both about to send the
things to the factory for repair, when we decided to try looking
at the internal connectors.  After disconnecting the power, I opened
the box I disconnected the various cables, looked at them, scratched
my head, put them back together, "jiggled" them a little bit, and
then closed the box and re-connected the power.

I then re-booted the system and things worked!  Everything has worked
fine on both drives since.  We both feel very lucky.

I can't say that I recommend that you do what I did, but if you feel
like trying, you might have the same luck I did, and save your self
the bother of calling in a technician.