[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] Hidden Files & GeminiUK

pegram@kira.UUCP (Robert B. Pegram) (01/18/91)

From article <11599@pt.cs.cmu.edu>, by jennie@ius2.cs.cmu.edu (Jennifer Kay):
> In article <1991Jan16.163558.26338@arc.ab.ca> erkamp@arc.ab.ca (Bob Erkamp) writes:
>>Is there a program that will 'reveal' hidden files on the atari? I was using
>>STMirror on my drive and discovered a hidden file (Neodesk.dat) and I think
>>that it really sucks that NeoDesk 3.0 creates this file. I would like to know
>>what's in it and why it's there.

Hidden files are fact of life, get something (UISII or III, gulam,
etc) to deal with them.  They are *usually* not dangerous, as in this
case, where NeoDesk is simply storing your partition name in the
hidden file.

> There is a program called Craft-2 distributed by Hi-Soft.  It is a
> shell that tries to look like unix, and does a very good job.

Interesting.

> To command "ls" will list the directory, and the command "ls -a" will
> list the directory with hidden files.  The command "chmod" can be used
> to change the attribute bits of files (to hide/reveal them,
> mark/unmark them as system files, set/reset the archive bit etc.).
>
> Craft is my preferred shell - I like it much better than NeoDesk.  It
> is particularly well suited to creating an environment that is ideal
> for program development due to the sophisticated shell scripts that
> can be created.

To each his own, my preference is a combination of graphic and text shells.

>                               Red/. (speaking via jennie)

Many CLIs will do what is described here.  It reminds me though, of Gemini,
any news about when GeminiUK >= 1.2 will show up here?

You might want to check out Gemini (or Mupfel & Venus separately on Tos 1.0).
Mupfel will do this (as will the Neodesk Cli to be fair, but Mupfel is
nicer IMHO 8-).  You should know though, this was written by a die hard Neo 3
user 8-).