[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] HELP ICD formatter won't format QUANTUM QA250

Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz (01/18/91)

In article <tpj.664042060@achilles> tpj@iti.org (Thomas Jensen) writes:

>   == Please respond via e-mail to address at end ==
>

> I'm trying to make an ICD hostadapter use a Quantum QA250 ('goldtop',
40
> MB). Even if the disk isn't supported by the ICD software (it doesn't
appear
> in the list in ICDFMT.DAT), I should be getting more response.
>
> Symptons
>
> -1 Power up harddisk, wait for usual SCSI bipping signalling drive
running.

> -2 Power up ST, with floppy A from the ICD distribution in the drive
>    (the disk with an autofolder)
>
> -3 Observe harddisk lamp flicker as part of booting
>
> -4 start ICDFMT.PRG
>
> -5 press key, ICDFMT looks for drive
>
> -6 ICDFMT reports QUANTUM QA250, SCSI ID 0 LUN 0 as only drive found
>
> -7 there are three buttons in that box, [rescan] [continue] [quit]
>    If I hit [continue] (with mouse or ENTER) nothing happens.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>    If I hit [rescan] or [quit] the program does what it's asked to do.
>
> Setup:
>
> ICDFMT.PRG v 3.10 date 10-10-89.
> ICD adapter bought in 1990 (one flying resistor on the print..).
> Atari ST with TOS 1.2.
> QUANTUM QA250 (ROM r A) with rightmost jumper (end away from address)
in,
> all other out.
>
> The Atari is able to see the ICD clock (using the ICDTIME.PRG), so the
> adapter is at least connected OK.
>
> I have diagnosed that the QA250 doesn't appear in the ICDFMT.DAT file,
i.e.
> that the drive isn't supported, but I thought that I should at least
get a
> message to that effect (the choice of OTHER in the drive type select
menu
> after the drive scan dialog).
>
> To compound the problem, I have lost my printed ICD manuals (by the
simple
> process of moving from Copenhagen to London).
>
> Please send any hints/advice etc by follow-up or e-mail to the address
> below, since this is posted by a friend
>

> Thanks
>  Jens  e-mail: jensting@titan.ee.ic.ac.uk
>
> Mr Jens Tingleff, M.Sc.EE. PhD student at
>      Imperial College, Dept of EE,  Exhibition Road, London SW7 2BT,
England
> In a previous mode of existance:   jensting@diku.dk
> "If only you could see what I have seen with your eyes" Roy, 'Blade
Runner'

> --

$$
> Thomas P. Jensen (einstein@diku.dk)
> System-librarian
> "Per libros ad astra"

ICD did bring out a New set of programs in Dec. 1990, also the Formater
is now Version 4.76, also Note: these is a Fix program for Quantum
Drives called BOOTFIX, this could help..

--
Roger W. Sheppard   85 Donovan Rd, Kapiti New Zealand...