[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] hooking up vga cards to ST's

cstein@jarthur.claremont.edu (Clifford Stein) (01/21/91)

Does anyone know how to hook up a VGA card (or super VGA card) to a Mega ST.

I've been thinking about it and it would be pretty neat to do.  I wouldn't
expect TOS to use it; I was thinking it would be an extra monitor so one
could be using the standard Atari monitor while looking at a picture
displayed on the other monitor with the VGA card.  It would be for display
purposes only, not for general use (which would probably involve some major
hacking of TOS).

Can anyone help?  Has anyone done it?

--Cliff

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (01/23/91)

-
- I've been thinking about it and it would be pretty neat to do.  I
- wouldn't expect TOS to use it; I was thinking it would be an extra
- monitor so one could be using the standard Atari monitor while looking
- at a picture displayed on the other monitor with the VGA card.  It
- would be for display purposes only, not for general use (which would
- probably involve some major hacking of TOS).
-
- Can anyone help?  Has anyone done it?

Don't know if this will help you or not, but I'll mention it anyway.
There's a board called an ISAC board which gives 1024x768x16colors
out of 4096.  It costs around $1000 and requires a multisync monitor.
I've never seen one.  Then, there's also the Parsec board which does
roughly the same.  I think both are GEM- and TOS-compatible with some
patches.  I think Lexicor is handling the Parsec board now and a new
place called Dover Research is handling the ISAC.  Unfortunately, I
don't have numbers for either.  If you want, leave me mail and I'll
look around for some addresses.

--
         Ed Krimen  ...............................................
   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
   |||   INTERNET: ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu  FREENET: al661
  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261        FIDONET: 1:119/4.0

miked@syscon%nstar.rn.com (Mike DeMetz) (01/23/91)

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) writes:

>Don't know if this will help you or not, but I'll mention it anyway.
>There's a board called an ISAC board which gives 1024x768x16colors
>out of 4096.  It costs around $1000 and requires a multisync monitor.
>I've never seen one.  Then, there's also the Parsec board which does
>roughly the same.  I think both are GEM- and TOS-compatible with some
>patches.  I think Lexicor is handling the Parsec board now and a new
>place called Dover Research is handling the ISAC.  Unfortunately, I
>don't have numbers for either.  If you want, leave me mail and I'll
>look around for some addresses.

Lexicor has released software for their board also.They took over
the CYBER line from ANTIC and improved it.They have their own
message group on CIS in Atariarts.