[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] PC Serial Mouse to ST

dalessio@motcid.UUCP (Mario D'Alessio) (01/19/91)

I have asked this question a couple of times and received
a few responses, but none to actually answer my question.
I hope someone can help.

How can I connect a Microsoft compatible SERIAL mouse to
my ST?

I have seen messages telling how to connect a bus mouse to
the ST, but not a serial mouse. Some people from comp.sys.ibm
have told me that a serial mouse and a bus mouse are the same.
So I believe there should be a way to connect a serial mouse
to the ST. I cannot find bus mice sold separately from the
cards (anyone know of a place?).

Thanks to everyone who responded to me, and thanks for any
new help!

* ************************************************************** *
* *                                                            * *
* *  Mario D'Alessio            Motorola, Inc.                 * *
* *  dalessio@motcid.UUCP       Cellular Infrastructure Group  * *
* *                                                            * *
* ************************************************************** *

emerson@gandalf.Berkeley.EDU (Emerson Mei) (01/19/91)

The microsoft bus and serial mouse are the same BECAUSE they have a
little adaptor w/active electronics to change the bus mousedata info
into serial data.  This really confused me too.@:0-)  But anyways, no
a MS compatible serial mouse will not work cause they have their data
already encoded in serial format (at leats not w/ a simple cable.

dalessio@motcid.UUCP (Mario D'Alessio) (01/21/91)

In talking to someone about the MS serial and bus mice, I found out
that within the serial mice there is some electronics to convert the
output of the "rolling sensors" (don't know the official name) to
the serial data a serial port requires. He said that in order to
use a serial mouse with the ST, you have to open the mouse and
reroute the "rolling sensors" output directly out the mouse plug,
bypassing the electronics.

He is going to help me do the conversion. If I can explain it
(I am not electronically inclined), I will post instructions
on the net.

* ************************************************************** *
* *                                                            * *
* *  Mario D'Alessio            Motorola, Inc.                 * *
* *  dalessio@motcid.UUCP       Cellular Infrastructure Group  * *
* *                                                            * *
* ************************************************************** *

emerson@gandalf.Berkeley.EDU (Emerson Mei) (01/24/91)

In all the ms
true Microsoft mice I have seen the bus and serial mice are the sam
However there is an adaptor that changes the bus mouse output on the
mouse to a serial output.  It is a little 3" long item X 1/2 X 1/2"
It has the electronics in it.  So if you have to cut any cables on a serial
mouse I'd say that it won't work.  W/a true MS mouse you just unplug it
and wire yr own adaptor.

PS It must be really cheap to make a MS mouse.  They are mechanical w/
switch contacts, so there is almost nothing in them.  At least the Atari went w/optoelectronics.

boyd@mailer.cc.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (01/25/91)

In article <5625@feldspar23.UUCP>, dalessio@motcid.UUCP (Mario D'Alessio) writes:
>In talking to someone about the MS serial and bus mice, I found out
>that within the serial mice there is some electronics to convert the
>output of the "rolling sensors" (don't know the official name) to
>the serial data a serial port requires. He said that in order to
>use a serial mouse with the ST, you have to open the mouse and
>reroute the "rolling sensors" output directly out the mouse plug,
>bypassing the electronics.
>
>He is going to help me do the conversion. If I can explain it
>(I am not electronically inclined), I will post instructions
>on the net.

Alright!  I have a serial MS mouse that needs this conversion.  Please do
post a follow-up to this, and I would be more than happy to pay you to
send me a Polaroid of the mouse insides after the mod.  I could then
digitize it, or draw up a .PI3 file which shows how to do it (which I
would then put on atari.archive).  Thanks in advance!

--
             Mickey R. Boyd          |  "God is a comedian playing to an
          FSU Computer Science       |      audience too afraid to laugh."

emerson@gandalf.Berkeley.EDU (Emerson Mei) (01/26/91)

Could you please send me the plans for how to make a circuit for a
a generic roller-type mouse to an ST.  The mouse in question is a
trackball and it has optoisolated roller thingies.

I would really appreciate it and so would this sad mouse.

emerson@stat.berkeley.edu