[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] The inevitable hard disk question.

ric@mcrware.UUCP (Ric Yeates) (01/17/91)

Technically Reclined Netlanders:

I have a 20Meg SH204 Atari Hard disk.  I want to upgrade it to a 40Meg SH204.

My understanding so far is:
    * there is a host adapter in the shoebox with a SCSI edge connector
    * I should be able to hook up "any" SCSI disk to that host adapter

I tried hooking one up last night, but Supra nor Atari's formatting
software wanted anything to do with it.

What I am unsure of is the following:
    ? What sort of software (whose) will be required to format the thing?
    ? What SCSI ID should the drive be set to?
    ? Does anybody have any experience with doing this? What drive did they
      use? Software?

Any replies (EMail or otherwise) would be greatly appreciated.

Ric Yeates

Ric Yeates                                             Microware Systems Corp.
  "I found these opinions on the floor, so I don't think they belong
                                                              to Microware."
                         1. Grease Generously
                         2. Wax Philosophically

stephen@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Steve Whitney) (01/18/91)

In article <4677@mcrware.UUCP> ric@mcrware.UUCP (Ric Yeates) writes:
>Technically Reclined Netlanders:
>
>I have a 20Meg SH204 Atari Hard disk.  I want to upgrade it to a 40Meg SH204.

I want to do something similar with my Megafile 20.  I don't want to add a
second drive but rather to replace my old one with a bigger one.  Any problem
with doing that?  Which Segate drives work?  I want _at_Least_ 40 megs.
How much shall I be prepared to spend?  Finally, will Atari HDX deal with it?

Thanks a LOT!  I just got a Spectre GCR, and my poor hard disk is in a shambles.  :-(  no room for my STuff.

	Steve

--
Steve Whitney   "It's never _really_ the last minute"       (())_-_(())
UCLA Comp. Sci. Grad. Student                                | (* *) |

csbrod@informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Claus Brod (turo)) (01/21/91)

ric@mcrware.UUCP (Ric Yeates) writes:

>    ? What SCSI ID should the drive be set to?
The SH204 auto-selects target 0 when being switched on and never
releases it. So you have to use SCSI ID 0 on the drive.

>    ? Does anybody have any experience with doing this? What drive did they
>      use? Software?
Some people reported to have accomplished such a thing. I recall one letter
when someone told me of a working combination of a SH204 host adaptor and
a Quantum drive. This was done using my own hard disk driver software.
I never tested this myself, however.

Claus Brod, Am Felsenkeller 2,			Things. Take. Time.
D-8772 Marktheidenfeld, West Germany		(Piet Hein)
csbrod@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de

stephen@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Steve Whitney) writes:

>I want to do something similar with my Megafile 20.  I don't want to add a
>second drive but rather to replace my old one with a bigger one.  Any problem
>with doing that?  Which Segate drives work?  I want _at_Least_ 40 megs.
>How much shall I be prepared to spend?  Finally, will Atari HDX deal with it?

Remember you have to use drives with an ST506 interface in a Megafile 20.
By the way, in Germany, there has never been something like a Megafile 20.
Is this the same as the old SH205?

Back to the original question: Any ST506 MFM drive should work. HDX can
be customized to handle the new drive by inserting a drive description#
into the WINCAP file.

stephen@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Steve Whitney) (01/22/91)

In article <1991Jan21.120209.18819@informatik.uni-erlangen.de> csbrod@informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Claus Brod (turo)) writes:
 >stephen@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Steve Whitney) writes:
 >
 >Remember you have to use drives with an ST506 interface in a Megafile 20.
 >By the way, in Germany, there has never been something like a Megafile 20.
 >Is this the same as the old SH205?

Yes, the Atari part number for the Megafile 20 was SH205.  Thanks for the
information.  I would have maile dthis but I figured some might want to
know what a Megafile 20 was.

paulm@unix.UUCP (Owner and User) (01/24/91)

In article <1991Jan21.115857.18617@informatik.uni-erlangen.de>, csbrod@informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Claus Brod (turo)) writes:
> ric@mcrware.UUCP (Ric Yeates) writes:
>
> >    ? What SCSI ID should the drive be set to?
> The SH204 auto-selects target 0 when being switched on and never
> releases it. So you have to use SCSI ID 0 on the drive.
>
> >    ? Does anybody have any experience with doing this? What drive did they
> >      use? Software?
> Some people reported to have accomplished such a thing. I recall one letter
> when someone told me of a working combination of a SH204 host adaptor and
> a Quantum drive. This was done using my own hard disk driver software.
> I never tested this myself, however.

   I am using 2 SH204 connected to my ST, one addressed at 0 for the disc,
   and the other addressed at 2 for my SCSI cartridge tape drive.   The
   SH204 host adapter boards will only access SCSI device 0 (it's in the
   hardware) but with little work, the ACSI (DMA port address) can be changed
   anywhere from 0 to 7.   The disc interface board is talking to a Maxtor
   380 meg XT-4380-S SCSI drive, and the tape is a CYPHER CT-540 SCSI 5.25
   inch cartridge tape drive.  I use the Supra v 2.06 (I think?) driver
   with the controller and drive defined as 'other'.  The tape driver is
   code that I wrote that installs itself as a TSR attatched to BIOS trap
   13 RWABS calls.  I wrote a unix like TAR program that I use to perform
   backup , restores as well as file transfers from my ST to UNIX system
   and vise-versa.   I believe you need the 'new' SH204 adapter PAL's tho.
-----
Paul Moreau

UUNET:  ..!ccicpg!unix!paulm

roland@geronimo.pcs.com (Roland Rambau) (01/29/91)

csbrod@informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Claus Brod (turo)) writes:
>ric@mcrware.UUCP (Ric Yeates) writes:

>>    ? Does anybody have any experience with doing this? What drive did they
>>      use? Software?
>Some people reported to have accomplished such a thing. I recall one letter
>when someone told me of a working combination of a SH204 host adaptor and
>a Quantum drive. This was done using my own hard disk driver software.

I replaced the (Adaptec+Tandon)-combo in my SH204 by a ST1096N about a year
ago, using Claus's Software from his 'Scheibenkleister' book. Apart from a
minor problem during cold booting ( which does not hassle me enough to really
enquire what exactly it is :-) it works like a charms, 80 MB and noticably
faster than before. [ I just bought the Seagate drive, plugged it in, attached
it with some metal rods - its much smaller than the old one - and partitioned
it. I did this because the old drive had suddenly died ... ]

  -- Roland

Roland Rambau

  rra@pcsbst.pcs.com,   {unido|pyramid}!pcsbst!rra,   2:507/414.2.fidonet