[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] Using an Atari 400 as a terminal under MiNT

rlcollins@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Ryan 'Gozar' Collins) (01/24/91)

I will be acquiring an Atari 400 with 48K and I have the following
questions:

If I hook up it up to my ST with the proper interface and a null modem
adapter, is there any I could run MiNT and have the 400 be a terminal to
the ST, just so I could be running a shell?

	Thanks.....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Ryan 'Gozar' Collins ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            o__)\			     rlcollins@miavx1.BITNET
           /     )			      RC1DSANU@miamiu.acs.muohio.edu
          /     /  ____                       R.COLLINS1  (On GEnie)
         /(____/__(_) o)_/
                      /)			[ || ]   Atari Computers,
      "There is no Substitute."                 [ || ]    They're not just
 Vs lbh pna ernq guvf, lbh'er geniryvat        // || \\   for breakfast
            gbb pybfr!                        //  ||  \\  anymore
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Yea, right, thats what I said.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

7103_2622@uwovax.uwo.ca (Eric Smith) (01/26/91)

> If I hook up it up to my ST with the proper interface and a null modem
> adapter, is there any I could run MiNT and have the 400 be a terminal to
> the ST, just so I could be running a shell?

Yes; just doing "bg -o aux: shell <aux:" should start up a shell connected
to the RS232 port (replace "shell" by whatever shell you prefer; bash or
init.prg should work reasonably well). Note that you should use the
bg program because it sets up the control terminal properly; just running
the shell in the background with "&" won't do this.
--
Eric R. Smith                     email:
Dept. of Mathematics            eric.smith@uwo.ca

jimomura@lsuc.on.ca (Jim Omura) (01/30/91)

In article <3480.279df2fe@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu> rlcollins@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Ryan 'Gozar' Collins) writes:
>I will be acquiring an Atari 400 with 48K and I have the following
>questions:
>
>If I hook up it up to my ST with the proper interface and a null modem
>adapter, is there any I could run MiNT and have the 400 be a terminal to
>the ST, just so I could be running a shell?

    Well, sure you could use the 400 as a terminal for a Unix-like
system.  But that doesn't make it a *good* idea.  The problem with
the 400 is that you won't have a clearly legible 80 * 24 character
screen.  When you use advanced OS's and especially if you want
to do development work, you'll want at the very least an 80 * 24
screen.  You can play with the 400 as a terminal, but you'll soon
tire of the inconvenience.

     If you have the money lying around, a used 520STm with a VT100
cartridge would be a wonderful choice for a terminal.  Otherwise,
as far as the 8 bit machines are concerned, my own favorite approach
would be a Radio Shack Color Computer 3, which has an 80 * 24
capability (640 * 200 resolution) and RGB, RF and composite outputs
built in.  And, of course, a version of OS-9 available.

--
Jim Omura, 2A King George's Drive, Toronto, (416) 652-3880
lsuc!jimomura