[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] DESKTOP.INF question

bobw@hpsad.HP.COM (Bob Waltenspiel) (01/24/91)

Where can I get some documentation on all the stuff defined in
DESKTOP.INF file?

Maybe somebody can help me with what I want do do:

I want to replace the [show] selection, but not the [print], when
double-clicking a non-executable file with QVIEW.PRG that came with
QUICKST package.  Can this be done with DESKTOP.INF file?

Thanks,

Bob

 ----------------------------------- -----------------------------------------
| Bob Waltenspiel                   | AT&T: (707) 794-3091 (Telnet: 794-3091) |
| ATE Software Team                 | e-mail: bobw@hpsad.HP.COM               |
| HP Signal Analysis Division       | HPDesk: Bob WALTENSPIEL/HP5300/A0       |
| 1212 Valley House Dr.             | HP Mailstop: 1UR-M                      |
| Rohnert Park, CA 94928-4999       | GEnie: B.WALTENSPIE                     |
 ----------------------------------- -----------------------------------------
        "Maybe this is heaven." -Ray in the film _Field of Dreams_

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (01/26/91)

bobw@hpsad.HP.COM (Bob Waltenspiel) writes:

- Where can I get some documentation on all the stuff defined in
- DESKTOP.INF file?

Atari.archive.umich.edu.  I think the doc is called DESKDOC.ARC.

- Maybe somebody can help me with what I want do do:
-
- I want to replace the [show] selection, but not the [print], when
- double-clicking a non-executable file with QVIEW.PRG that came with
- QUICKST package.  Can this be done with DESKTOP.INF file?

Select QVIEW.PRG once (highlight it) from the desktop.  Go to the
options menu and select Install Application.  Then save desktop.  If
you don't have Rainbow TOS, load DESKTOP.INF and add the pathname to
QVIEW.PRG at the bottom of the file.  In fact, doesn't the QuickST
manual tell you how to do this?!  BTW, this will replace both the
show and print selection.  You will need a print utility to replace
the print selection.

If you get DCShowit, I think it will replace only the show selection.
It can be found at atari.archive.

--
         Ed Krimen  ...............................................
   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
   |||   INTERNET: ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu  FREENET: al661
  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261        FIDONET: 1:119/4.0

bobw@hpsad.HP.COM (Bob Waltenspiel) (01/29/91)

In comp.sys.atari.st.tech, ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) writes:
>- Where can I get some documentation on all the stuff defined in
>- DESKTOP.INF file?

>Atari.archive.umich.edu.  I think the doc is called DESKDOC.ARC.

I'll get this file thanks.

>Select QVIEW.PRG once (highlight it) from the desktop.  Go to the
>options menu and select Install Application.  Then save desktop.  If
>you don't have Rainbow TOS, load DESKTOP.INF and add the pathname to
>QVIEW.PRG at the bottom of the file.  In fact, doesn't the QuickST
>manual tell you how to do this?!  BTW, this will replace both the
>show and print selection.  You will need a print utility to replace
>the print selection.

What you suggest does work, but defeating the print selection is
why I don't want to use it.

>If you get DCShowit, I think it will replace only the show selection.
>It can be found at atari.archive.

I tried this but some files come with simple CR line terminators which
DCShowit cannot display.  DCShowit is almost what I want.

I picked up a copy of DC Desktop this weekend and one of it's modules
appears to do what I want.  I'll know better after using it a few days.

Thanks for the pointers.  This thanks goes out to those who emailed me
as well.

-Bob

bobw@hpsad.HP.COM (Bob Waltenspiel) (01/29/91)

>>- Where can I get some documentation on all the stuff defined in
>>- DESKTOP.INF file?

>>Atari.archive.umich.edu.  I think the doc is called DESKDOC.ARC.

>I'll get this file thanks.

Well, actually I would if I could find it.  Anybody wanna take a stab
at a more accurate filename?

-Bob

bobw@hpsad.HP.COM (Bob Waltenspiel) (01/31/91)

>Well, actually I would if I could find it.  Anybody wanna take a stab
>at a more accurate filename?

Since Ed couldn't find it, he mailed me a copy of the text he had.
Someone else also mailed me another text file (thanks Walt Weber).  I
combined the two files together and deposited them at the atari
archive in the 'new' directory.  The file is called DSKTPINF.LZH.