[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] Squeeky monitor..

L.B.Brown@newcastle.ac.uk (L.B. Brown) (01/29/91)

petercl@castle.ed.ac.uk (Peter J.C. Clarke ) writes:

>Hello,

>	I have a problem with my SM124 monitor. It emits a high pitched
>squeek from around the on/off/volume switch that starts about 5 mins
>after I have switched it on. The squeek is very loud and annoying.
>Smacking it one tends to help for a bit but this only keeps it quiet for
>a few minutes. Has anyone else had this problem and does anyone know how
>to fix it? I have considered taking it apart and having a look but I'm
>not too hot on the inside of monitors.
>	If anyone has got any suggestions then either mail them to me or
>stick them up here. Thanks.

So does mine (amongst other things) but it increases in pitch after
a few minutes then dies away. Its not that much of a problem but I'd
like to get rid of it.

Anyone else had problems with these monitors?

	Leigh Brown.	UK   : L.B.Brown@uk.ac.newcastle
			World: L.B.Brown@newcastle.ac.uk

pdel@ADS.COM (Peter Delevoryas) (01/30/91)

>So does mine (amongst other things) but it increases in pitch after
>a few minutes then dies away. Its not that much of a problem but I'd
>like to get rid of it.
>	Leigh Brown.	UK   : L.B.Brown@uk.ac.newcastle

Well I don't know if it's the same problem as on my MacPlus, but a high pitched tone
means the flyback transformer is going. I also have an SM124 on my 1040 which does the
same thing, not quite as bad as when the Mac would whine. It might be worth taking it
in to see if that's what it is. It might not be too expensive if the part is readily
available (ha.). If mine starts bugging me too much I might.

Peter D

bcasper@ncsuvx.enet.dec.com (BRIAN CASPER) (02/04/91)

In article <8121@castle.ed.ac.uk>, petercl@castle.ed.ac.uk (Peter J.C. Clarke )
writes:

|>	I have a problem with my SM124 monitor. It emits a high pitched
|>squeek from around the on/off/volume switch that starts about 5 mins
|>after I have switched it on. The squeek is very loud and annoying.
|>Smacking it one tends to help for a bit but this only keeps it quiet for
|>a few minutes. Has anyone else had this problem and does anyone know how

The squeek is coming from your high voltage 'flyback' coil.  A lot of monitors
do this and it is generally a
sign of impending failure.   (although it may be years before this happens...)
The best thing you can do
is live with it as the price/pain of replacing said coil is probably not worth
the trouble.

-Brian Casper
bcasper@eos.ncsu.edu

R_Tim_Coslet@cup.portal.com (02/04/91)

writes:

|>	I have a problem with my SM124 monitor. It emits a high pitched
|>squeek from around the on/off/volume switch that starts about 5 mins
|>after I have switched it on. The squeek is very loud and annoying.
|>Smacking it one tends to help for a bit but this only keeps it quiet for
|>a few minutes. Has anyone else had this problem and does anyone know how

If its coming from the flyback sometimes its just something vibrating and
can be stopped by gluing whatever is vibrating with some high voltage
sealant material. May take a bit of work to locate the vibrating area though.

                                        R. Tim Coslet

Usenet: R_Tim_Coslet@cup.portal.com             BIX:    r.tim_coslet
Free Kuwait.    Disarm Iraq.    Stop Soviet repression in the Baltic.