[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] Connecting Panasonic 3.5" 720k floppy - how?

Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz (02/07/91)

In article <1991Feb5.134658.25162@cns.umist.ac.uk> rn@ap.co.umist.ac.uk (bob nutter) writes:
> Hi!
>
> I've just got a 720k 3.5" Panasonic floppy (model JV-253-163P) for use
> as a second external floppy (yes, my ST is *that* old!) and plugging
> it in place of my existing one (ie: same cables) produced, well,
> absolutely nothing. I should assume that the drive was set up for an
> IBM PC, so it would have been jumpered for DS1 instead of DS0 which is
> what I believe the ST expects. I played around with the switches on
> the drive, but didn't get any further. Can anyone help? Do I need to
> jumper things on the 2x17 IDC connector (my existing cable only uses
> about half the lines)? Here's what the switches are on the back of the
> drive (are there any more jumpers inside the drive casing?):
>

> 	SW1: 0 3 2 1
>
> 	SW2: M0 MS
>
> 	SW3: RY DC
>

> Thanks for any help!
>
> bob

For one thing you must set it for DS0, did you have a board with a
large ic, on it, if so this has to be by passed, it does not give a
side select line, also what is the Step Speed of this drive, some early
PC drives are 6ms, this can be a Big problem for the ST's, but you can
set the step rate with a program, but no good for running games..
--
Roger W. Sheppard   85 Donovan Rd, Kapiti New Zealand...