[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] Cookie Jar information...

nut@nuthaus.UUCP (Adam G. Tilghman) (02/06/91)

  I am currently writing a program which, if the system's cookie jar
does not already exist (or is too small) will need to create a new
one.  I am somewhat familiar with the jar's specifications, but there
are some things that I need help with.
  First of all, do I have to install a reset-routine which clears
the $5a0 variable?  It makes sense to do so, since the globals aren't
cleared after reset, but if I don't have to write the routine, so
much the better (I like Pascal more than 68K!)
  Second, is it kosher for my program to remove the cookie jar (or
restore it to its old value) once it exits?  Do GEM or TOS place
cookies in there after system startup?
  Third, what are the default system cookies? I have heard mention
of them describing the system config, and if I am going through
the trouble of installing a jar, I might as well put them in also?

  As you can tell, I'm poor enough to not be able to afford the
Developer's documentation.  Hey, Atari, do you want to apply student
discounts to the doc's?  Most hackers are in college, and probably
would provide a nifty new software base if given the doc's!

  -- Adam

P.S. - Does anybody have example code for the aforementioned
           system-reset routine?
--
   =    Adam G. Tilghman - SysOp/WizOp/Janitor of Eleusesthai BBS   =
   = USnail: 116 Escanyo Dr., So. San Francisco, CA, 94080-4134 USA =

uereder@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Uwe Reder ) (02/08/91)

nut@nuthaus.UUCP (Adam G. Tilghman) writes:

>  I am currently writing a program which, if the system's cookie jar
>does not already exist (or is too small) will need to create a new
>one.  I am somewhat familiar with the jar's specifications, but there
>are some things that I need help with.
>  First of all, do I have to install a reset-routine which clears
>the $5a0 variable?  It makes sense to do so, since the globals aren't
>cleared after reset, but if I don't have to write the routine, so
>much the better (I like Pascal more than 68K!)

I think you have to like 68k! I wrote such a programme on my own, in
assembler language. You are right $5a0 is not cleared after reset. So you
have to do this, because of uninstalling the cookie jar the pointer
of $5a0 points to a so called cookie jar... your system may be confused of
this!

>  Second, is it kosher for my program to remove the cookie jar (or
>restore it to its old value) once it exits?  Do GEM or TOS place
>cookies in there after system startup?

I think its better to remove it.
TOS places several systemcookies. For example one for the processor used.
I can send you a list of the systemcookies later on. Please read on
'News' again, 4 or 5 days later, and watch out for my second reply.

>  Third, what are the default system cookies? I have heard mention
>of them describing the system config, and if I am going through
>the trouble of installing a jar, I might as well put them in also?

Wait for it...

>  As you can tell, I'm poor enough to not be able to afford the
>Developer's documentation.  Hey, Atari, do you want to apply student
>discounts to the doc's?  Most hackers are in college, and probably
>would provide a nifty new software base if given the doc's!

Uwe Reder (University of Erlangen - Germany)

      Uwe Reder - Kopernikusstr.7 - D8074 Gaimersheim - Tel.: 08458/1239
               e-mail: uereder@faui09.informatik.uni-erlangen.de

      Toerless Eckert       | /C=de/A=dbp/P=uni-erlangen/OU=informatik/S=eckert
Imagine it is war and your tv set is broken | eckert@informatik.uni-erlangen.de