[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] Questions

rodent@netcom.UUCP (Ben Discoe) (02/02/91)

I'm coming from a heavily Amiga/Unix background, trying to get used
to developing with Mark Williams on a top-of-the-line TT.

My first problem was the apparent lack of a decent shell or editor.
After studying the docs for "MSH" it seems it MIGHT be adaquate,
but the editor is hopelessly primitive (a uEmacs with a worse user
interface than the pathetic thing Commodore's been bundling for years)

I assume there are serious editors out there, that support mice and
undo and can reconfigure the keyboard etc. like CygnusEd Pro for the
Amiga or Emacs for the Unix world.  Can someone give me a tip?
What do Serious developers use?  Price is not a concern.

I also sorely need a ramdisk facility of some sort - I've talked to
atarioids who say they have them, so I assume it's not difficult.
With 6 meg to kill, and a DOS that Really Thrashes the hard disk,
I *need* a ramdisk.

Finally, is there a way to turn off that horrible beeping every time
I press a key?  I shall go insane listening to it much longer.

Thanks.  Be nice and you'll win a convert to Atariness.  My development
setup on the loaded Amiga3000 that sits next to the TT on my desk is
wonderful, but that's because of years of accumulating the best utilities
from all sources.  This is what I'm looking for on the TT.

---------------
Ben Discoe, computer scientist/deep ecologist.

csbrod@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Claus Brod ) (02/03/91)

rodent@netcom.UUCP (Ben Discoe) writes:

>I assume there are serious editors out there, that support mice and
>undo and can reconfigure the keyboard etc. like CygnusEd Pro for the
>Amiga or Emacs for the Unix world.  Can someone give me a tip?
>What do Serious developers use?  Price is not a concern.

Try EDISON or PKS-EDIT, both coming from Germany, both having a
good GEM interface and everything you need as a developper.

>Finally, is there a way to turn off that horrible beeping every time
>I press a key?  I shall go insane listening to it much longer.

Just use the control panel to switch it off.

Claus Brod, Am Felsenkeller 2,			Things. Take. Time.
D-8772 Marktheidenfeld, West Germany		(Piet Hein)
csbrod@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de

ljdickey@watmath.waterloo.edu (L.J.Dickey) (02/10/91)

In article <22533@netcom.UUCP> rodent@netcom.UUCP (Ben Discoe) writes:
> [...]
>My first problem was the apparent lack of a decent shell or editor.

I like using Gulam. It has a command line interpreter, one can write
command shells ( .g files ), it has a ue that I don't use, and a
terminal emulator.  Now, I prefer calling an editor such as STevie
(a near vi clone).  Gulam is available from atari.archive.

>I also sorely need a ramdisk facility of some sort - I've talked to
>atarioids who say they have them, so I assume it's not difficult.
>With 6 meg to kill, and a DOS that Really Thrashes the hard disk,
>I *need* a ramdisk.

There are tons of these around; I think every beginninng programmer has
written one.  However, the best is one I have found is one that happens
to have evolved out of the work of several programmers and gone through
several public versions:  EDISK.  I think that version 2.1 is the
latest. It comes with a program ECONF that "configures" the EDISK
program.  It is the first (and maybe still the only) program to set the
volume id for the ramdisk.  Amusing.  I have not figured out a use for
it though.  Again this program is available from
atari.archive.umich.edu.

Atari.archive.umich.edu is arguably the best archive site around,
certainly the best in North America.  It is both an ftp server and a
mail server.  The folks there are serious about keeping it current.