[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] Hard Drive Power Supply Info Needed

jbernat@bgsuvax.UUCP (Jim Bernatowicz) (02/08/91)

I will be building an external hard drive setup for my computer very
soon.  I am in the market for a case with a power supply to house
the drive(s).  What I need to know is how large must the capacity of
my power supply be?  I wish to house and power four half-height
drives eventually.  The drive I will install first is the Seagate
ST-296N SCSI 80MB.  Thanks in advance for any help you may offer!

Jim Bernatowicz  (jbernat@andy.bgsu.edu)

s37837k@saha.hut.fi (Jari Lehto) (02/10/91)

In article <6914@bgsuvax.UUCP> jbernat@bgsuvax.UUCP (Jim Bernatowicz) writes:

>I will be building an external hard drive setup for my computer very
>soon.  I am in the market for a case with a power supply to house
>the drive(s).  What I need to know is how large must the capacity of
>my power supply be?  I wish to house and power four half-height
>drives eventually.  The drive I will install first is the Seagate
>ST-296N SCSI 80MB.  Thanks in advance for any help you may offer!
>
>Jim Bernatowicz  (jbernat@andy.bgsu.edu)

I have two ST296Ns, they are fedd by a 65W power-supply.
Remember to shield the power-supply with metal and use thick enough
cables. Fan won't be bad either. I think you'll need something over
150W. Four drives at startup draw quite a large amount of amperes out
of the power. If you put some kind of a delay to power them up one at a
time, smaller power would be enough. 150W powers are quite expensive!
(150W +-12V, +-5V)

			Jartsu

	*** Jari Lehto, jartsu@otax.hut.fi, s37837k@saha.hut.fi ***

vsnyder@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Van Snyder) (02/10/91)

In article <1991Feb10.001820.7033@santra.uucp> s37837k@saha.hut.fi (Jari Lehto) writes:
>In article <6914@bgsuvax.UUCP> jbernat@bgsuvax.UUCP (Jim Bernatowicz) writes:
>>
>>I will be building an external hard drive setup for my computer very
>>soon.  I am in the market for a case with a power supply to house
>>the drive(s)...
>>Jim Bernatowicz  (jbernat@andy.bgsu.edu)
>
>I have two ST296Ns, they are fedd by a 65W power-supply.
>Remember to shield the power-supply with metal and use thick enough
>cables...
>... 150W powers are quite expensive!
>			Jartsu

Just use an IBM/PC power supply.  Looking in PC WEEK, one sees 230W power
supplies for ~$55 US.  PC cases are also lots cheaper than special disk
cases, and have places in them for power supply, several disks, etc.  You
might even get a better deal if you buy case & power supply at once.

van = vsnyder@jato.jpl.nasa.gov

--
vsnyder@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov
ames!elroy!jato!vsnyder