[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] RAM Disk source code

cscullio@ncratl.AtlantaGA.NCR.COM (Chris Scullion) (02/08/91)

Can anybody point me at a good RAM Disk's source code?  I've always assumed I
understood how they work, but I'd like to see a working version before I
attempt one with some special features.  Any language of source code is fine.
Thanks.

Chris (cscullio@ncratl.atlantaga.ncr.com)

--
Chris Scullion   | NCR Corporation 2651 Satellite Blvd., Duluth, GA 30136 |
| (404)623-7352  | VoicePlus 751-7352 | cscullio@ncratl.AtlantaGA.NCR.COM |

rosenkra@convex.com (William Rosencranz) (02/12/91)

In article <5945@ncratl.AtlantaGA.NCR.COM> cscullio@ncratl.AtlantaGA.NCR.COM (Chris Scullion) writes:
>Can anybody point me at a good RAM Disk's source code?  I've always assumed I
>understood how they work, but I'd like to see a working version before I
>attempt one with some special features.  Any language of source code is fine.

most ramdisk programs are small. you will probably have more luck in getting
source by getting a disassembler and making source from an executable. note
that you will get assembler, and that the disassembly may have problems if
the original code had data in the text segment (common if original source
was assembler). unfortunately, this is often the only way to get source for
some otherwise PD programs. it is also a good way to learn, however...

there are a couple of halfway decent disassemblers out there. check the
archives. i started to write an intelligent disassembler (i.e. one that
could handle imbedded line A, data in text, etc) but finally gave up once
i knew enough assembler to hand edit and fix the output of other disasms.
since i do not do this too often, it was a good compromise.

>Thanks.

you're welcome...

-bill
rosenkra@convex.com

--
Bill Rosenkranz            |UUCP: {uunet,texsun}!convex!c1yankee!rosenkra
Convex Computer Corp.      |ARPA: rosenkra%c1yankee@convex.com