[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] Some questions about how hard disks are connected to ST's

john@castle.ed.ac.uk (John Hannah) (02/12/91)

I gather that if I want to connect a hard disk to an ST(E) I need a host
adapter (DMA -> SCSI) (ICD etc) and a SCSI hard disk.  If I want to use
a ST506 disk then I need a SCSI to ST506 controller (Omti etc).

What I want to know is :-

1)  Where is the software for the hard disk driver ?   Is it in TOS (1.6?)
    or a separate driver supplied by ICD etc.  If the latter - is it in PROM.
    If not how does "autoboot" work ?

2)  Has anyone attached an ST506 drive without going the SCSI route ?  ie.
    by building their own hardware (+ software?). (I guess the answer to
    this question depends on question (1)!!

Replies by email would be great since I suspect that these questions must
have been asked before although I haven't noticed any in the last six months
or so.

Thanks,
John Hannah
(Electrical Engineering, University of Edinburgh)

Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz (02/13/91)

Distribution:world

In article <8448@castle.ed.ac.uk> john@castle.ed.ac.uk (John Hannah) writes:
> I gather that if I want to connect a hard disk to an ST(E) I need a host
> adapter (DMA -> SCSI) (ICD etc) and a SCSI hard disk.  If I want to use
> a ST506 disk then I need a SCSI to ST506 controller (Omti etc).
>
> What I want to know is :-
>
> 1)  Where is the software for the hard disk driver ?   Is it in TOS (1.6?)
>     or a separate driver supplied by ICD etc.  If the latter - is it in PROM.
>     If not how does "autoboot" work ?

TOS does have a small routine to read the boot sector and execute it
if its set for execution. all bytes in the boot sector must add up to $1234
this can then load the hard disk driver, or any other driver for that matter.

Note; the Hard Disk driver can be loaded from Cartridge, or Floppy
The order is Cartridge, Floppy A. B ??, then Hard Disk, (Devices 0-7)

> 2)  Has anyone attached an ST506 drive without going the SCSI route ?  ie.
>     by building their own hardware (+ software?). (I guess the answer to
>     this question depends on question (1)!!

Yes the Germans have done that, (don't they allways)  using a PC hard disk
controller and a home made host adapter, plus patches to the TOS roms, or
a program in the Cartridge port.

--
Roger W. Sheppard   85 Donovan Rd, Kapiti New Zealand...