[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] bombs on an STE

avgroeni@cs.ruu.nl (Annius Groenink) (02/12/91)

  Has any STE owner ever had the problem of two bombs (bus error) appearing
on the screen after one of the alert boxes `no disk in drive A' or
`Disk in drive A has been write-protected'? Can anyone explain this strange
behaviour of my computer (which already caused me to loose MANY files)?

Annius Groenink
De Mamuchetweg 5
3732 AK De Bilt
The Netherlands
AVGROENI@CS.RUU

wolfram@akela.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Wolfram Roesler) (02/13/91)

avgroeni@cs.ruu.nl (Annius Groenink) writes:

>  Has any STE owner ever had the problem of two bombs (bus error) appearing
>on the screen after one of the alert boxes `no disk in drive A' or
>`Disk in drive A has been write-protected'? Can anyone explain this strange
>behaviour of my computer (which already caused me to loose MANY files)?

I remember having this problem for some time on a TOS 1.2 1040ST. The
reason for this was an auto folder program which was supposed to speed
up disk access (as far as I remember). Boot your system without installing
anything from the auto folder and see if the problem is still there. If
it's not, activate the auto folder prg one by one to see which is to blame.

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (02/14/91)

avgroeni@cs.ruu.nl (Annius Groenink) writes:
>  Has any STE owner ever had the problem of two bombs (bus error) appearing
>on the screen after one of the alert boxes `no disk in drive A' or
>`Disk in drive A has been write-protected'? Can anyone explain this strange
>behaviour of my computer (which already caused me to loose MANY files)?

Try not running any accessories, and see if the problem goes away.

There is a bug in some TOSes: if an alert comes up, and then an accessory's
event_timer call expires, and then the accessory makes a GEMDOS call, you
will get bombs when you click either button of the alert.

The original Control Panel from Atari (the one that lets you set the colors)
did in fact use event_timer and then make GEMDOS calls, so it would cause
this problem to happen.

Most accessories don't have this problem, since (A) they don't use
event_timer much, or (B) they don't do GEMDOS calls as a result of
event_timer.