[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] Atari DMA to SCSI.

rdt154k@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (mr n benci) (02/15/91)

I have posted twice in regards to how do you convert the DMA port to
SCSI configuration. So far no one has given even a hint as to how to do it.
All that I have been told is to go and by either an ICD or BMS200 host
adapter. I'm sorry to say that I am a technical junkie. I would really like
to know. It seems ridiculous that I can find out how an ST506 is connected
and operating on a PC, a SCSI drive is connected and operating on a SUN,
on an AMIGA and on a MAC. BUT no where can I get info for the ST. Is this a
deep dark secret, is it labeled as 'EYES ONLY', WHAT GIVES ??

If this info is non-disclosure material then say so and I'll quit asking,
but if it isn't then why wont anyone offer me some advice. Yes there are
still a few who are willing to build there own hardware addons.

Thanks in advance.

* Nino Benci. 			      * Confucious say			     *
* Monash University, Caulfield Campus * 'Never stand alone against           *
* Physics Department		      * ignorance'		             *
* 900 Dandenong Rd, Caulfield East    ****************************************
* VIC, 3145. Australia.							     *
* Tel (61) (3) 573 2355/2519. Fax (61) (3) 573 2350			     *
* email oz: rdt154k@monu6.cc.monash.oz.au				     *
* email world: rdt154k%monu6.cc.monash.edu.au@uunet.uu.net		     *

csbrod@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Claus Brod) (02/18/91)

rdt154k@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (mr  n    benci) writes:

>I have posted twice in regards to how do you convert the DMA port to
>SCSI configuration. So far no one has given even a hint as to how to do it.
>All that I have been told is to go and by either an ICD or BMS200 host
>adapter. I'm sorry to say that I am a technical junkie. I would really like
>to know. It seems ridiculous that I can find out how an ST506 is connected
>and operating on a PC, a SCSI drive is connected and operating on a SUN,
>on an AMIGA and on a MAC. BUT no where can I get info for the ST. Is this a
>deep dark secret, is it labeled as 'EYES ONLY', WHAT GIVES ??

Many of the informations you need for a ACSI/SCSI host adapter is
in the ACSI specifications from ATARI. If you're a registered developper,
you get a copy of them. I have written a (German) book on floppies
and harddisks, and the harddisk part might also clarify most of your
questions. The whole matter, however, is too complex to discuss it
thoroughly in this conference. Since the ST DMA bus is not very stable
all in all and its timings vary from revision to revision (remember
those IMP chips?), you're in for lots of trouble when designing
a host adapter of your own (trust me, I was partly involved in
the development of a new host adapter; it took about a year of
intensive testing before the damn thing worked reliably with any
ST they could get). Therefore, you were given the hint
to better forget it and get a commercial solution.

Claus Brod, Am Felsenkeller 2,			Things. Take. Time.
D-8772 Marktheidenfeld, West Germany		(Piet Hein)
csbrod@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de