[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] How do I upload formatted txt

pdel@ADS.COM (Peter Delevoryas) (02/21/91)

Hello, I've run into a problem trying to upload a 1st Word document
to my Unix machine at work.

It doesn't look like you can transfer something like this which has
formatting characters in it.

This particular doc looks like this:

Hi^^Mom^^how^^are^^you^^hope^^everything's^^going^^okay^^sure^^am^^having^^fun

I assume all the ^^ chars are messing up the transfer.
I think I have all the port settings right because I tried transferring
some other text docs with no problem.

I tried doing this under gulam, as well as some other terminal prgs,
but no luck.

Any ideas/help is much appreciated.

Thanks, Peter D.

steve@thelake.mn.org (Steve Yelvington) (02/22/91)

[pdel@ADS.COM writes ... ]

> Hello, I've run into a problem trying to upload a 1st Word document
> to my Unix machine at work.
>
> It doesn't look like you can transfer something like this which has
> formatting characters in it.
>
> This particular doc looks like this:
>
> Hi^^Mom^^how^^are^^you^^hope^^everything's^^going^^okay^^sure^^am^^having^^fu
>
> I assume all the ^^ chars are messing up the transfer.
>
> I think I have all the port settings right because I tried transferring
> some other text docs with no problem.

Here's the catch: You're *not* transferring text. You're transferring a
formatted file that should be regarded as binary.

If you really want to transfer it, use a communications protocol such
as Xmodem or Zmodem. But I suspect that's not really what you want to do.
Of what use would a First Word-formatted file be on a Unix system?

You probably really want editable plain text. There are a couple of
ways to get it. One is to load First Word, deselect WP mode (in one of
the drop-down menus) and save the file as plain ASCII text. Another
is to use a stand-alone conversion filter program; I've seen several
over the years, but I don't know if any are currently in the archive.

This is a common problem, by the way. The general solution is to look
for a way to ``print to disk,'' i.e., create a disk file that is
plain text. Many word processors have such an option. In such cases
you may have to tweak the formatting a bit. For example, ST-Writer
can save ASCII by printing with 0 left margin, 0 top and bottom
margins, and no page numbering.

Not long ago I helped a friend extract his brother's detective novel
from Wang word processor format. Now, that was a chore! A fellow in
Australia (praise the network) sent me a conversion program that
rescued us. Without that program I suspect I'd still be wrestling
with it.

----
  Steve Yelvington / P. O. Box 38 / Marine on St. Croix, MN 55047 USA
  INTERNET: steve@thelake.mn.org    UUCP: plains!umn-cs!thelake!steve

pdel@ADS.COM (Peter Delevoryas) (02/23/91)

In article <A230757974@thelake.mn.org> steve@thelake.mn.org (Steve Yelvington) writes:
>[pdel@ADS.COM writes ... ]
>
>> Hello, I've run into a problem trying to upload a 1st Word document
>> to my Unix machine at work.
>
>You probably really want editable plain text. There are a couple of
>ways to get it. One is to load First Word, deselect WP mode (in one of
>the drop-down menus) and save the file as plain ASCII text.

That's the ticket, thanks. Two other people gave me the info also,
and I thank you all.

I think I agree with someone who previously said that this net is
worth a million bucks!  You people are really great!

 I also would like to mention that I appreciate when I get multiple responses.
It really helps to solve the problem in case you don't understand what
to do even after getting the first reply. I'm going to remember this
in case I know an answer to a question and think 'someone else' will
get back to the person.

Peter D.