[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] Ram expansion for 520STM

qralph@dna.lth.se (Ralph Haglund) (03/01/91)

Hi -
I saw the note about upgrading a 520 to 2.5Mb when it already has an extra
.5Mb added.
Well... I am a friend of the guy who has the Atari shop in town, and I do
the tricky business there. I have spent a few hours on 3-4 machines of that
kind, to manually solder in 2 1Mx8 SIMMs in 520s with junk on top of the old
chips. Put the CAS of those pigs to +5V, and then testing. No customer has
come back with complaints. Just glue the SIMMs with silicon glue somewhere
in the box.
Ralph

vsnyder@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Van Snyder) (03/02/91)

In article <1991Mar1.052442.6564@lth.se> qralph@dna.lth.se (Ralph Haglund) writes:
>Well... I am a friend of the guy who has the Atari shop in town, and I do
>the tricky business there. I have spent a few hours on 3-4 machines of that
>kind, to manually solder in 2 1Mx8 SIMMs in 520s with junk on top of the old
>chips. Put the CAS of those pigs to +5V, and then testing. No customer has
>come back with complaints. Just glue the SIMMs with silicon glue somewhere
>in the box.
>Ralph
Is it possible to post the flavor of SIMM you used, and it's pinout?

--
vsnyder@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov
ames!elroy!jato!vsnyder

bertram@eastman.UUCP (Dudley Bertram) (03/02/91)

In article <1991Mar1.052442.6564@lth.se> qralph@dna.lth.se (Ralph Haglund) writes:
>Hi -
>I saw the note about upgrading a 520 to 2.5Mb when it already has an extra
>.5Mb added.
>Well... I am a friend of the guy who has the Atari shop in town, and I do
>the tricky business there. I have spent a few hours on 3-4 machines of that
>kind, to manually solder in 2 1Mx8 SIMMs in 520s with junk on top of the old
>chips. Put the CAS of those pigs to +5V, and then testing. No customer has
>come back with complaints. Just glue the SIMMs with silicon glue somewhere
>in the box.
>Ralph

Could you post or mail me more information about how you did this. I have an ST	that was upgraded by the piggy-back method and I would like to add more memory
if that is possible. Please go to as much detail as you can because I am not a
hardware oriented type of person. Thanks.

News fodder.......
.
.
.