[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] Adjusting the SM124

ehood@paris.ics.uci.edu (Earl Hood) (02/25/91)

Is there anyway to adjust the vertical height on a SM124?  The monitor has
no visible buttons on the outside to make the adjustments.

I would like to know if it could be done, because images look slightly
scrunched on the screen.

Earl
reply to ehood@paris.ics.uci.edu
--
Earl Hood (UC Irvine) ------------------------------->	ehood@paris.ics.uci.edu

chuck@mrcnext.uiuc.edu (charles bridgeland) (02/25/91)

ehood@paris.ics.uci.edu (Earl Hood) writes:

>Is there anyway to adjust the vertical height on a SM124?  The monitor has
>no visible buttons on the outside to make the adjustments.

>I would like to know if it could be done, because images look slightly
>scrunched on the screen.

>Earl
>reply to ehood@paris.ics.uci.edu
>--
>Earl Hood (UC Irvine) ------------------------------->	ehood@paris.ics.uci.edu
-------------------------------
hoho, you're in for some fun
	you hve to do that on the inside.  get some plastic tv adjustment
tools fromradio shark or someplace.  open the monitor case and look down
onto the main board.  they're all labeled pretty clearly (bunch of
little white potentiometers, and one adj. inductor, for which you will
need a plastic hex head tool).
chuck bridgeland---anarchoRepublican
	--don't forget, we surround _them_, not the other way around"
chuck@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu     hire me so I can quit this pit.

schultzd@papa.egr.msu.edu (David Schultz) (02/27/91)

In article <27C8984D.9979@ics.uci.edu>, ehood@paris.ics.uci.edu (Earl Hood) writes:

|> Is there anyway to adjust the vertical height on a SM124?  The monitor has
|> no visible buttons on the outside to make the adjustments.
|>
|> I would like to know if it could be done, because images look slightly
|> scrunched on the screen.
|>
|> Earl
|> reply to ehood@paris.ics.uci.edu
|> --
|> Earl Hood (UC Irvine) ------------------------------->	ehood@paris.ics.uci.edu

To do this mod, you have to take the casing off the monitor. There are screwdriver adjustable
pots inside that are, for the most part labeled.  You'd probably want a plastic-handled,
well-insulated screwdriver for this (JUST IN CASE YOU LAY THE DAMN THING AGAINST SOMETHING
NASTY!!!!!)

--
  |||			   David W. Schultz			   |||
  |||		uunet[!rutgers!mailrus]!frith!schultzd		   |||

chuck@mrcnext.uiuc.edu (charles bridgeland) (02/28/91)

>To do this mod, you have to take the casing off the monitor. There are screwdriver adjustable
>pots inside that are, for the most part labeled.  You'd probably want a plastic-handled,
>well-insulated screwdriver for this (JUST IN CASE YOU LAY THE DAMN THING AGAINST SOMETHING
>NASTY!!!!!)

>--
>  |||			   David W. Schultz			   |||
>  |||		uunet[!rutgers!mailrus]!frith!schultzd		   |||
--------------------------
also to note that one of the adjustments is an inductor----you will _need_ a plastic
tool, or you will never get it right.  putting a metal tool in there would make it an
iron core inductor for the duration of the attempted adjustment
chuck bridgeland---anarchoRepublican
	--don't forget, we surround _them_, not the other way around"
chuck@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu     hire me so I can quit this pit.

bergmann@az35.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de (Martin Bergmann) (03/01/91)

To adjust the screen size of the SM124 you have to open the
monitor (Note: The wire of the built-in loud-speaker is
connected to the platine with a small socket which you've
got to pull off to get the casing open).

Then you have to look for the points on the main board that
are marked with "VSize" and "HSize" (Vertikal/Horizontal
size). By using a (plastic) screwdriver, it is possible to
readjust the screen size in both directions. This way I
have enlarged the size of my monitor screen to a good ex-
tent. Finally you should adjust the focus (can't remember
the name for it on the platine now, though) to get the
picture sharp (this is always a compromise - either the
edges are clear or the center) and eventually you should
center the screen with HCenter (I think...).

It is all not that difficult, only you MUST BE *VERY*
CAREFUL not to get a severe electric shock and end up as a
little heap of ash on the carpet!!! There is high voltage
in some places inside the boxing, and the fact that you have
to switch the monitor on to adjust it doesn't make it easier!

The best way to do it is:
1. Switch it off and leave it for at least 30 minutes like
   this; also, pull off all wires;
2. Open the boxing and then connect it to the computer, THEN
   to the mains again;
3. Run something like a test screen with a rectangular pat-
   tern or a square that you can check the proportions;
4. Make your adjustments, then disconnect everything and
   WAIT for another 30 min. (the monitor contains conductors
   that keep a high voltage for a good while), then reassem-
   ble the whole lot again...

Good luck!!!   (...and don't electrocute yourselves!!!)

Martin Bergmann / bergmann@ipvr.informatik.uni-stuttgart.dbp.de

vsnyder@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Van Snyder) (03/01/91)

In article <8751@ifi.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de> bergmann@az35.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de (Martin Bergmann) writes:
>To adjust the screen size of the SM124 you have to open the
>monitor...
I got a monitor with the image tilted.  If you carefully loosen the screws
clamping the deflection yoke to the picture tube neck, and TWIST the yoke
(but kon't slide it along the neck), you can correct this problem too.

In any case, observe the kind of safety precautions Bergmann outlined.
--
vsnyder@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov
ames!elroy!jato!vsnyder

schultzd@sierra.egr.msu.edu (David Schultz) (03/03/91)

|> also to note that one of the adjustments is an inductor----you will _need_ a plastic
|> tool, or you will never get it right.  putting a metal tool in there would make it an
|> iron core inductor for the duration of the attempted adjustment

So, what happens if you don't play around with the inductor.  Which, of course, I didn't do!
Hope I'm trashing my friends monitor by not having done this!

--
  |||			   David W. Schultz			   |||
  |||		uunet[!rutgers!mailrus]!frith!schultzd		   |||
 / | \		      Work Phone: (517)-353-8891		  / | \
/  |  \		     "Just gimme a STacy laptop!"		 /  |  \

ehood@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (Earl Hood) (03/05/91)

Thanks for the advise adjusting the monitor; I got to work.

I've noticed that one person has mentioned something about a inductor.  When
I opened up the monitor, I only found the following adjustments:

	V-line
	V-Size
	V-Hold
	H-Cent
	& one more having to do with the screen (I can't recall it right now)

I did not see the inductor adjustment.  If it is supposed to exist, then
where is it?  What happens if it isn't adjusted when one adjusts the screen
controls.
--
Earl Hood (UC Irvine) ------------------------------->	ehood@paris.ics.uci.edu