[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] The format of Mac disks and Spectre disks

rlcollins@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Ryan 'Gozar' Collins) (02/28/91)

Does anyone know where to find out the format for Spectre disks? And also
the format of a real Mac disk? I've ask in comp.sys.mac.programmer for the
specifications of a Mac disk, but have received not a single rpely or
followup to my original post. I've checked the library at school and
couldn't find anything either.

I downloaded the file specstuf.lzh from atari.archive. It has a program
that can format a 720k MFM Mac disk on the Atari that you just stick into a
Mac with a HDFD and it reads it no problem. (This is without any extra
software one the Mac end.)

I would really like to figure out the different formats, so maybe I could
write some sort of conversion prg that would convert from
mac<->spectre<->ST.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ryan 'Gozar' Collins 	  Question for IBM Users:      rlcollins@miavx1.BITNET
  / || \  The Price!!	      Subdirectory?               R.COLLINS1 on GEnie

hm292hu@unidui.uni-duisburg.de (Hucht) (03/05/91)

In <4014.27cbbf8f@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu> rlcollins@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Ryan 'Gozar' Collins) writes:

>Does anyone know where to find out the format for Spectre disks? And also
>the format of a real Mac disk? I've ask in comp.sys.mac.programmer for the
>specifications of a Mac disk, but have received not a single rpely or
>followup to my original post. I've checked the library at school and
>couldn't find anything either.

>I downloaded the file specstuf.lzh from atari.archive. It has a program
>that can format a 720k MFM Mac disk on the Atari that you just stick into a
>Mac with a HDFD and it reads it no problem. (This is without any extra
>software one the Mac end.)

>I would really like to figure out the different formats, so maybe I could
>write some sort of conversion prg that would convert from
>mac<->spectre<->ST.

>Any help would be appreciated.

>Ryan 'Gozar' Collins 	  Question for IBM Users:      rlcollins@miavx1.BITNET
>   ||||   Power Without     How DO you move/copy a      rc1dsanu@miamiu.BITNET
>  / || \  The Price!!	      Subdirectory?               R.COLLINS1 on GEnie

I have written a little program to convert MAC 720k <-> Spectre 800k disks.
The program can also format and initialize both formats (initialize is much
quicker because you only need to write the first few sectors on an already
formatted disk). But I would wait or use Spectre 3.0 with Danya's DOS Mounter
to transfer data or programs from/to MAC/Spectre. the problem is that the MAC
cannot read 800kB MFM-disks. i can upload the program if you like.

The main difference between MAC 720kB and Spectre 800kB is that Spectre first
writes Side 1, then Side 2 while MAC writes every sector on both sides, eg.:

Spectre:

 0| 1| 2| 3| 4| 5| 6|...| 79
80|81|82|83|84|85|86|...|159

MAC:

 0| 2| 4| 6| 8|...|71
 1| 3| 5| 7| 9|...|143

note the sifferent size (Spectre: 512 Byte * 160, MAC: 512 Byte * 144).

Fred Hucht
Uni - GH - Duisburg
Germany
Internet: fred@hal9000.uni-duisburg.de