[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] 520stfm upgrade?

eahsnsr@nmt.edu (Eric A. Hobbs) (03/07/91)

I'm really sick of only having 512K and since buying a new computer
is out of the question, I would like to upgrade.

My question is:
OK, I have a Rev. C 520stfm motherboard. In the place where the RAM
chips are, there are a series of empty holes where, I assume, the extra
.5 meg in a 1040 goes. In order to upgrade, could I just simply
solder in the 8(?) memory chips with no other mods, or is there some
trick to it?

Since this thread has probably been beat to death already, and because
our newsfeed has been on the fritz lately, I would appreciate responses
by e-mail.

Thanx.
-------------
Eric A. HOBBS!
eahsnsr@JUPITER.nmt.edu

Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz (03/09/91)

Distribution:world

In article <1991Mar7.051042.6372@nmt.edu> eahsnsr@nmt.edu (Eric A. Hobbs) writes:

> I'm really sick of only having 512K and since buying a new computer
> OK, I have a Rev. C 520stfm motherboard. In the place where the RAM
> chips are, there are a series of empty holes where, I assume, the extra
> .5 meg in a 1040 goes. In order to upgrade, could I just simply
> solder in the 8(?) memory chips with no other mods, or is there some
> trick to it?
>
> Eric A. HOBBS!
> eahsnsr@JUPITER.nmt.edu

No. you solder in 16 256k Rams 150ns or better, plus 3 resistors 33/39 ohms
and 16 * 0.22uf mono caps, you can see the missing resistors, they are
in the same place as the otheres..
--
Roger W. Sheppard   85 Donovan Rd, Kapiti New Zealand...