[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] HP Deskjet

bhwhelan@unix1.tcd.ie (Brendan Whelan) (03/01/91)

Does anyone own/know anything about the Hewlett Packard Deskjet
printer. I'm particularly interested in knowing how it performs
on an ST.
Are drivers easily available for it?
Is there a substitute driver that can be used from most packages with
it?
What is it's quality really like?
How expensive are the cartridges and - most importantly- how often do
they have to be replaced?

THanks in advance.

B.

andy@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Andy Gray) (03/03/91)

In article <bhwhelan.667837119@unix1.tcd.ie> bhwhelan@unix1.tcd.ie (Brendan Whelan) writes:
>Does anyone own/know anything about the Hewlett Packard Deskjet
>printer. I'm particularly interested in knowing how it performs
>on an ST.
>Are drivers easily available for it?
>Is there a substitute driver that can be used from most packages with
>it?
>What is it's quality really like?
>How expensive are the cartridges and - most importantly- how often do
>they have to be replaced?

I posted a response to someone else's question about drivers for the HP
Deskjet 500 a couple of days ago.  You might look for that posting; if you
can't find it, send me mail and I'll send it to you directly.

The quality is, in a word, excellent.  A lot of the quality depends on the
type of paper you use with it; if you use high-quality photocopy bond or a
high-cotton bond, it looks really nice, almost like a laser.

The ink cartridges are $15 - $18 (U.S. dollars).  I don't really know what
their actual life is since I'm still on my first one.  I imagine it'll print
somewhere between 600 and 800 pages, but it really depends on how black the
pages are that you print.

Feel free to send me mail directly if you have more questions.

					-- Andy

P.S.  I directed followups to comp.sys.atari.st, since that's really a more
      appropriate place for this kind of discussion.

      Andy Gray                     andy@jarthur.claremont.edu
      Platt Campus Center           andy@jarthur.UUCP
      Harvey Mudd College           ...uunet!jarthur!andy
      Claremont, CA  91711          agray@HMCVAX.BITNET

dgb@unislc.uucp (Douglas Barrett) (03/07/91)

From article <bhwhelan.667837119@unix1.tcd.ie>, by bhwhelan@unix1.tcd.ie (Brendan Whelan):
> Does anyone own/know anything about the Hewlett Packard Deskjet
> printer. I'm particularly interested in knowing how it performs
> on an ST.
> Are drivers easily available for it?
> Is there a substitute driver that can be used from most packages with
> it?
> What is it's quality really like?
> How expensive are the cartridges and - most importantly- how often do
> they have to be replaced?
>
> THanks in advance.
>
> B.

I have about 18 mounts on a Deskjet II now.  I would not buy it again if
I had it to do over again.

The thing performs as you would expect HP equipmnet to.  Well.  The
cartridges are about $50 and I have bought 1 new one.  Many people heat
a paper clip and burn a couple of small holes in the things and refill
them for the cost of ink.  When the printing holes become clogged a new
cartridges is purchased.  The Deskjet emulates a couple of other printers,
(I bought an Epson emulation cartridge) and I use the laser jet option
on software that has it.  So interfacing it has been no problem.

The thing is SLOW in graphics mode.  I mean about 20 minutes/page to print
stuff from Page Stream (a product I think anyone should be wary of).  And
this for 300^2 resolution.  I must contrast this with an Epson comp 9 pin
printer which I can drive to ~270X240 resolution and dump Page Stream at
about 5 minutes/page.  Granted the dot matrix goes thru a lot of ribbons
(which i re-ink), but usually I just can't wait two days for a document to
print out.

In an effort to reduce the print time, I have installed two memory extension
cartridges.  There is a noticable improvement in character mode, and no
noticable improvement in graphics mode.

But if;
	you primarally want to use the thing in character mode
	you place a high value on noise abatement
	you can live with a slow printer (with quality at many
	    laser printer's level)
	your pocket book feels the price delta between this
	    product and a laser printer
	this is a good choice

However;
	if you will ever want to dump code for review you will
	probably want a dot matrix anyway, and a 24 pin Epson
	compatible can be driven past 300^2, is cheaper and is
	cheaper per copy.

	if you need to print a large volume of data in graphics
	mode (desk top publishing) stay away from this printer.
	You will grow old waiting for page 50.

My opinions are mine, but can be rented for a modest cost.  Users
assume all liability.

dgb

keithr@vice.ICO.TEK.COM (U.D.M.) (03/07/91)

In article <1991Mar6.182031.11905@unislc.uucp> dgb@unislc.uucp (Douglas Barrett) writes:
>From article <bhwhelan.667837119@unix1.tcd.ie>, by bhwhelan@unix1.tcd.ie (Brendan Whelan):
>> Does anyone own/know anything about the Hewlett Packard Deskjet
>> printer. I'm particularly interested in knowing how it performs
>> on an ST.

{stuff deleted}

>> How expensive are the cartridges and - most importantly- how often do
>> they have to be replaced?
>>
>> THanks in advance.
>>
>> B.
>
>I have about 18 mounts on a Deskjet II now.  I would not buy it again if
>I had it to do over again.

{stuff deleted}

>The thing performs as you would expect HP equipmnet to.  Well.  The
>cartridges are about $50 and I have bought 1 new one.  Many people heat

Whoa!!!  $50!?!?!?!?!?  Where are you buying your cartridges?  I can
buy them at Sears Computer Centers for $19.00 and at other local
shops for less then that.  BTW, HP has come up with a non-water
soluble ink so thew printouts don't run it they get wet.

{stuff deleted}

My experience with the Deskjet has been a happy one.  I rented
Pagestream once to see if it was worth it and had the same speed
problem as above.  I now stick to GDOS applications and use Migraphs
printer driver with OSpooler and the speed is OK.  The Deskjet Plus
is about five times faster.  My church has the Plus and it performs
flawlessly.

If I had to do it again I would definitely get a Deskjet Plus.

>My opinions are mine, but can be rented for a modest cost.  Users
>assume all liability.
>
>dgb

Ditto.

Keith Rast
keithr@icogem3.ICO.TEK.COM

GERLOFF@tubvm.cs.tu-berlin.de (Olaf Gerloff) (03/13/91)

In article <1991Mar6.182031.11905@unislc.uucp>, dgb@unislc.uucp (Douglas
Barrett) says:

>The thing is SLOW in graphics mode.  I mean about 20 minutes/page to print
>stuff from Page Stream (a product I think anyone should be wary of).  And

     [more stuff deleted]

I can't agree with Douglas opinion. I'm using a DeskJet 500 (the newest
DeskJet version) and it is FAST. In normal text mode the speed is the same as
good dot-matrix printers like the NEC P6+. The graphic mode is much faster than
a dot-matrix printer. I have a german TeX with a DeskJet driver. A page with
a resolution of 300 DPI will be printed in one minute. The speed will behaive
on the quality of the driver (will it use system-calls or will it program the
I/O hardware direct, will the compressed mode for the graphics data be used).
Programs that need more time to print will need 2 or 3 minutes. I think
Douglas problem will be a result of an older printer version and a BAD driver.

Greetings, Olaf
-------
* Olaf Gerloff                      * Internet: GERLOFF@tubvm.cs.tu-berlin.de *
* Technical University Berlin (FRG) * BITNET  : GERLOFF@DB0TUI11              *
*               Impossible things will be executed immediately,               *
*                       miracles take a little longer!                        *